Advertisement

FINALLY a tool that suits my needs!

Started by May 12, 2015 11:09 AM
41 comments, last by SiCrane 9 years, 4 months ago

Sadly, my boss a few weeks ago asked for an online strlen tool. We're working with a device manufacturer that has a device with a scripting language. Said scripting language has strings, but no string length function, so he needed to precompute string lengths and do additions. The device was also only accessible via a Windows client so he was doing work on a ten year old windows laptop that didn't have any development tools installed.

That's sad. Again, as mentioned above, I would have just downloaded a bunch of gnu tools for Windows (they are effectively standard on *nix), and showed him how to use wc (Word Count) to output the number of bytes or number of characters, whichever he needed.

Sadly, my boss a few weeks ago asked for an online strlen tool. We're working with a device manufacturer that has a device with a scripting language. Said scripting language has strings, but no string length function, so he needed to precompute string lengths and do additions. The device was also only accessible via a Windows client so he was doing work on a ten year old windows laptop that didn't have any development tools installed.

That's sad. Again, as mentioned above, I would have just downloaded a bunch of gnu tools for Windows (they are effectively standard on *nix), and showed him how to use wc (Word Count) to output the number of bytes or number of characters, whichever he needed.

So instead of using (or downloading, since he said 10 year old laptop who knows) powershell you'd download unix tools for Windows . . . yea that makes sense!

Advertisement

What he eventually ended up doing was running Windows in a virtual machine on his Macbook. With clipboard integration he could just copy and paste with his Mac dev tools.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement