Advertisement

FINALLY a tool that suits my needs!

Started by May 12, 2015 11:09 AM
41 comments, last by SiCrane 9 years, 4 months ago

Because a set of tools updated 12 years ago

The point is the tools like the original poster's web site have been available for decades, and they are distributed on the OS everywhere but Windows. If you happen to be on Windows you can get the tools there as well.

Learn the tools of the trade.

I *HATE* being forced to write .bat files so I do not have to spend 20+ minutes typing out gibberish commands to accomplish something relatively simple !
This is 2015, not 1985 !

Partially agree.

Many times a GUI version will show you commands or chains of commands so you don't need to remember them.

Really good tools will have an optional window that shows the command line equivalent of what is happening in the GUI, so if you want to put the commands into a script of some type, you can copy it over.

Using GIT is like using a jackhammer to hang a picture in your wall. [ link ]

For the people who just stare at the man page, then yes, I'll grant you that it seems complicated.

But really, if you don't plan to do things in git which require understanding of the inner workings, you only need to know the basics of clone checkout pull add commit push. I feel like most people can learn 6 commands.

And if one dives in and learns how git works under the hood, git is actually quite simple. Once you know how it works, the interface becomes straight forward (I won't go so far as to claim 'user friendly', but it's no worse than any other distributed version control system).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

But really, if you don't plan to do things in git which require understanding of the inner workings, you only need to know the basics of clone checkout pull add commit push. I feel like most people can learn 6 commands.

But really, even if you plan to merge and fork branches and do cherry picking etc, why would you want to leave your ide of choice and open up an evil windows command prompt and have to type out the git command? Generally I will avoid command line git use unless it's simply something too advanced or strange for the git provider in visual studio or tortoisegit. these things are infrequent and having to go into command prompt, change to the directory and type the commands is generally just a time sink.

Edit: it's worth noting that my opinion above only refers to windows. The bash and other *nix shell prompts are a friendlier beast, and being as you'll have at least one open anyway typing the git commands into them isn't such a pain in the arse...

having to go into command prompt, change to the directory and type the commands is generally just a time sink.

Edit: it's worth noting that my opinion above only refers to windows. The bash and other *nix shell prompts are a friendlier beast, and being as you'll have at least one open anyway typing the git commands into them isn't such a pain in the arse...

That's a whole different kettle of fish than CodeFox's assertion that git is horribly overcomplicated.

And yes, I generally agree with you, although rather than avoid the Windows command line, I attempt to avoid development on Windows entirely :)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

and having to go into command prompt, change to the directory

btw, protip: if you shift-right-click a blank spot in the windows explorer while inside a directory, there's an "open command window here" shortcut that fires up cmd.exe in said directory. It can come in pretty handy, saves me loads of time when I need to run the odd shell command in some deeply nested directory. But yes, it helps to have a real shell (and a real terminal emulator) when doing command-line work wink.png

And yeah, git isn't that complicated; it takes a bit of time to get used to the workflow, but once the different concepts like commits/branches/patches/diffs/reflog click into place, stuff begins to make sense (you'll know you got it when you do, or alternatively, when you no longer have to read up on every operation on stackoverflow...). Seriously, it isn't that hard, as swiftcoder said above you start easy with the basic commands, and later on you move on to branches, even later on you move on to "oh crap, git ate my data, where did my commits go" and then you become familiar with it. Just another tool to learn, and a pretty awesome one at that smile.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

But really, even if you plan to merge and fork branches and do cherry picking etc, why would you want to leave your ide of choice and open up an evil windows command prompt and have to type out the git command? Generally I will avoid command line git use unless it's simply something too advanced or strange for the git provider in visual studio or tortoisegit. these things are infrequent and having to go into command prompt, change to the directory and type the commands is generally just a time sink.

I right click some directory in Windows Explorer and click "Git Bash". Soon the beloved Unix command prompt opens (actually its from the included MSYS in the git install, but grep and other things are also included).smile.png

If you dont have this you might need to reinstall git for Windows and choose the right options.

One of the mistakes of people using git GUIs is pull when they have local commits, which is a fetch and a silent merge - all in one. Then they wonder why something is broken, not knowing their local experiments got merged in.

Advertisement

Maybe its just me, but Git on the CLI seems perfectly rational and rather easy to use the core set of commands, and its good to know your way around the basics for when you need to do something more involved. Sometimes you need to go back and fix some history or do some other arcane thing.

I don't usually care for GUI programs unless its an inherently GUI-based task -- I could live with fewer CLI programs having GUIs, in fact, I wish more GUI programs had command-line options to expose functionality in a scriptable way -- for example, take paint.net or ImageMagick on the command-line vs mspaint, its a night-and-day difference and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to resize an image or apply a filter or whatever without opening up a program and clicking around.

I agree CMD.exe isn't much of a shell, nor does the CLI ecosystem work as well on Windows as it does on *nix. Powershell is pretty good (and you can make it default in newer versions of windows, but its an entirely parallel ecosystem to *nix). Cygwin provides a pretty complete standard Bash environment on Windows though.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Quite disgusting how you guys believe that requiring anyone to work by memory recall is the right thing to do. Just to let you know my opinion.

Previously "Krohm"

Quite disgusting how you guys believe that requiring anyone to work by memory recall is the right thing to do. Just to let you know my opinion.

All human minds learn by repetition. From being a baby to being an adult this is one truth that remains. The same applies to "working by memory recall". Being able to recall an operation from memory without needing to recap is just a sign of learning something well over time.
For example do you still pause to hunt for keys on the keyboard? Or have to Google to find out how to compile your project? No? This is because you've committed those steps to memory.
Experience allows us to commit to memory and to say that it's bad to expect this over a long enough time frame is bad too. Just letting you know my differing opinion.

I will honestly never understand people who prefer GUI clients for git. The command line interface is a lot more flexible, and not that hard to learn...

Using GIT is like using a jackhammer to hang a picture in your wall. [ link ]
Nothing about GIT or BASH is simple to use, and making matters worse is the lack of ( comprehensible ) explanations of the commands .
<rant>
I *HATE* being forced to write .bat files so I do not have to spend 20+ minutes typing out gibberish commands to accomplish something relatively simple !
This is 2015, not 1985 !
</rant>
Uh....poweshell? It's basically a .net vm that is a billion times better than dos when doing anything slightly complex.

And i do believe its come with windows since xp.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement