Advertisement

Questionnaire

Started by March 31, 2015 02:05 AM
5 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 6 months ago

1. What part do you take in video game design?

2. What is your favorite part of designing video games?

3. What do you like least about designing video games?

4. How would you suggest one starts a career in video game design?

5. What's the most entertaining project you've worked on?

I just need this filled out by any video game designer, you can be an artist, writer, programmer, animator, etc. You just need to be a video game designer. Also, state if you work with a studio or are independant, along with your name. I was suggested to this site to get answers to this.

That kind of knocks out guys like me who are simply hobbyist game developers.

Advertisement

That kind of knocks out guys like me who are simply hobbyist game developers.

You can still answer even if you're doing it for a hobby, as long as you have or are working on something. If you do everything, just say so, and if you can't answer #4, just say so

As a point of semantics, I believe that the term "game design" generally refers to a specific part of the process, rather than game-creation as a whole; a better term might be "game development". That is to say that "game designer" and "game programmer" (for example) are generally separate titles, while "game developer" might cover both.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

you can be an artist, writer, programmer, animator, etc. You just need to be a video game designer.

You should probably clarify what this means.
You can be anything by profession, as long as as a hobby you design games? That’s quite broad. Anyone can consider him- or her- self a game designer in that sense.

Also, #1 needs explaining. Only in a few major studios such as mine will you have multiple designers on a project (with potentially different tasks). For 99% of everyone else, the conversation would be, “What part of game design do you do?”, followed by, “Um, I do the ‘design’ part of game design.”

Anyway, with ambiguities acknowledged:

#1: I currently don’t. I designed professionally a few games in the past at a studio.
#2: The flexibility in creativity.
#3: While doing game design professionally, I always had a nagging feeling of discomfort. “I’m more valuable as a programmer. I feel as though I am not being fully utilized.” I got restless especially near the end of the projects when the design was basically done and there was still a lot of coding to do. Thanks to office politics I couldn’t be both a designer and a programmer, so it was very stressful looking at the code of the game, knowing I could fix bugs, polish it, etc., but was simply not allowed (this wasn’t the case long long ago when a whole game could be made by a single person, and back then I had a blast because they would just roughly outline what kind of game they wanted and I would design and code it all).
#4: I started as a programmer and showed interest and insight in game design. Others often go through QA/testing. You typically need to target larger studios since only they have designer positions. Smaller studios just take contract work and do the coding, sound, and art, while the contractor does the design.
#5: Overall, Final Fantasy XV. As a designer, those earlier projects I mentioned where I got to do full design and programming.

[EDIT]

Answering in the context where the topic creator meant “game development”.

#1: Professionally, in the video-game industry, I have been a designer, an artist, a musician/sound-effect engineer, a voice actor, project manager, and a programmer. I am currently a programmer.

#2: Everything. Solving problems, creating a quality product that fills me with pride, etc. Every little change I make to a product excites me, whether it is making it run faster, increasing graphics quality, etc.

#3: Being slowed by having to learn new in-house technology. I could knock off tasks a lot faster if I didn’t have to first spend so much time learning the internals of the in-house game engine (I am an R&D programmer—that means I make the underlying in-house engine used for all the games, rather than working on game programming).

#4: Make personal projects. Lots of them. Use them both to learn and get the skills you need for your craft and also to show to potential employers as portfolio work.

#5: Final Fantasy XV.

[/EDIT]

state if you work with a studio

Square Enix (Luminous Studio—Senior Graphics Programmer).

along with your name.

Shawn (L. Spiro) Wilcoxen

L. Spiro

[EDIT]
Did you mean “game development”?
[/EDIT]

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

L. Spiro has correctly noticed that metalshiflet is improperly using the term "game design" as an overall term for "game development"

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
Happy to help, I've changed the wording of your questions to use the correct terms :)

1. What part do you take in video game design?

All parts of the process

2. What is your favorite part of creating video games?

I enjoy the technical challenge of programming the game.

3. What do you like least about creating video games?

Negative non constructive feedback :)

4. How would you suggest one starts a career in video game development?

Make games. Finish games.

5. What's the most entertaining project you've worked on?

Probably my earlier games which were produced in a couple of weeks and heavily distributed around college on floppies :)

My real name is Craig Edwards and an independent hobbyist, producing games under the name Brainbox.cc. I've produced games and other software since 1993 starting out with 8 bit platforms.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement