Advertisement

Putting it off.

Started by February 05, 2015 12:15 AM
1 comment, last by irreversible 9 years, 7 months ago

So I've got to muster up the desire to program the dynamic path finding algorithm for my game, but.. MAN.... I really don't want to. But it just nags me daily "when are you gonna actually sit down and write out the code that needs to be written huh?" And another part of me is thinking "God I don't want to have anything to do with writing that code. Not now!".

Ever find yourself in a similar predicament?

I usually find it happens when I'm not 100% confident or satisfied with the direction I'm taking.

Ever find yourself in a similar predicament?

Yup. Every now and then I hit a wall. It's not that I don't know a solution to the problem at hand, it's that the solution requires a level of motivation that I can't currently muster.

As a current example, I've been meaning to write the crack-fixing algorithm for my voxel terrain for a couple of weeks now. It's fairly straightforward, but realistically it's going to take at least a couple of days to write and debug, and I haven't started yet...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

Code that looks simple on paper, but requires a lot of refining to get right is the worst.

I think the worst I ever put myself through was writing my own CSG routine. There are something like 20-30 cases for splitting faces if you account for all possible intersections (edge/corner intersections and so forth, including mirror cases that you kind of can, but really can't just copy-paste unless you want to risk messing up a swizzle operator or a sign somewhere). Man, it took me weeks to invent test scenarios that would assist in checking all of the possible cases before I finally got it working. I remember I went into it with a lot of gusto and determination, but the actual process of implementing it really tested my patience. Although I do have to say - it's times like these that I pat myself on the back the hardest. No really for being smart, but for sticking with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement