Advertisement

[Win 8 Store] Permanently removing apps from store account

Started by February 01, 2014 03:42 AM
3 comments, last by davepermen 10 years, 7 months ago

When you download an app in windows store, then delete it, it uninstalls fine but on my store account it shows but as 'Not Installed' yet still appears on my account. How do I permanently delete it from my account? Just to clarify I am not talking about deleting apps from my comp but from my windows store account that holds the data of what I downloaded, which isn't stored locally.

I tend to be a super clean freak when it comes to my comp, if I am never going to use an app, listen to a song, watch a movie etc it will get deleted regardless of memory. Obviously this issue isn't causing any major problems but it would be nice if I could delete it from my account data for good too. I did a search and could only find info on how to remove the app from the comp which is trivial anyway, I just want it removed from account but it seems (or at least it feels like it) I can only access this info via windows store and get no option to do so.

Oh and for the sake of things and just to have a nice comment online considering all the hate that is going around. I have to say I love Windows 8, the UI is perfect, the quick boot or wtf its called is hilariously fast and I would rate win 8.1 as my fav OS for many reasons including the ones given. I used windows server 2012 before but didn't care much for any new non-server features but win 8.1 on my dev machine is <3, I am actually starting to like and find apps useful on my desktop.

I tend to be a super clean freak when it comes to my comp

I am the same, verging to the point of OCD. However, for this reason, I really think that locked down tablet / cloud operating systems (Including that Windows Metro stuff) are not suitable for people like us. They take too much control away and tend to make a right pigs ear of everything.

In other words, I suggest just using Windows like you used to and leave that daft Metro crud alone. At the end of the day, you wouldn't be the only one to ignore it. Not to mention, in order to develop an app for it, you need to keep requesting a 30-60 days "developer license" from Microsoft, which means there are some serious future digital preservation issues here.

I know it is not always feasible but switching to FreeBSD solved the problem for me (I find current consumer Windows and Linux far too unorganized. Though I actually liked Windows Server 2012 R2).

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
Advertisement

I love a lot of the new features, I didn't think I would but I do. I think I am using only 9 non MS apps from the windows store and I consider myself someone who generally avoids apps, but has become rather fond of the notification / live update system of apps. Also the developing license is different to the windows store license and if you have a win store license it is 90 days not 30-60 and renewing is trivial (takes 1 cut and paste line in powershell only), I cant see why it would be an issue for anyone especially as it is the windows store license that is what gets the app on the store and that doesn't require renewal every 90 days.

I don't think my sole single issue with windows 8 is enough to get me to move, I wont lose sleep over it and if I do I could just always create a new account biggrin.png Another way to look at it I guess is, other OSes haven't been attractive enough for me and changing would be a downgrade, for me ofc. Besides Karsten, with your firm anti MS / .NET stance on these forums I am amazed you aren't developing and using your own OS smile.png

Anyway thanks for the reply

While not being of any help, I do sympathize with you - I have dozens of games on my Steam library that I wish I could permanently delete. Failing that, I just created a category called "junk" and placed them in there. Here's hoping no developer sees their own game in my "junk" folder - that'd be awkward. biggrin.png

there are advantages of not having them deleted in there. imagine an app you installed for free one day costs money, and you might want to use it again. you already own it => can just install it for free again. unlike if it would be removed, and you'd have to pay, suddenly.

same, of course, for any app you payed. you don't want to get those removed, as you'd have to pay again in the future, if you'd ever change your mind and want it again.

If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement