Advertisement

I need motivation and guidance

Started by January 26, 2014 05:32 AM
4 comments, last by tom_mai78101 10 years, 7 months ago

Ive wanted to make a game for a long time, and i learned that making games is not as fun as playing them necessarily. However, i know that if i had some motivation and perhaps even someone to guide me, or others who i can work with and learn with i can do it. I just dont know where to get the motivation to continue; learning programming is a tedious task. Is there anyone who thinks they can guide me or something. If anything i can provide ideas and such for your own games in exchange for this.

Start making games NOW.

Advertisement

Ive wanted to make a game for a long time, and i learned that making games is not as fun as playing them necessarily.

Not to discourage you even further, but IMHO this is a dangerous mindset if you really want to develope games. Not that necessarily everbody feels this way, but I for myself am actually kind of enyoing developing/programming games more than actually playing them, and it is the fuel that keeps me motivated. But to be fair, programming can be kind of tedious at times, especially when starting out, so the best tip here really was just to start making some simple games to get going, you will see how it will turn out after that. If you still feel like it isn't satisfactory, you might consider:

- Getting yourself a team for making games, and only concerning yourself with the parts that you really enjoy. I quess with what you said now, you might want to do the concepts, planning, team lead, maybe along some other tasks you can do well and enjoy. Than you can get yourself a programmer, an artist, etc... and develope the game you want without having to concern yourself with all the stuff that goes behind it.

- Use an already existing game creation tool and/or engine. Speaking Unity, GameMaker, Rpg-Maker (depending on the type of game you want to make). This will take most, if not all of the programming effort away, and lets you "shit out" games really quickly, as long as you have the artistical skills. So if all that is keeping you from starting is the programming part, I'd say give it a try. All you gotta do is learn a little bit of scripting and all honestly, this will be a really good boost if you once decide to go back to programming yourself. I learned the basics of OOP in RGSS, the ruby-based scripting language of the rpg-maker, which greatly helped me out with learning the OOP-parts of c++ later.

I agree with Juliean, with the remark that in my case I enjoy both as much.

When I come to a situation where motivation is lacking, I try to make my challenger smaller, make todo lists, mark things finished and continue.

Depending on what your goal is, try to first make the basic variant, finish that and take the next step.

Finishing stuff always motivates.

What sort of game do you want to make in the end? (and what parts of development really interest you / what parts can you reuse by using API's)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

If you can't find a team, then don't stress. I would recommend just trying to find the easiest way possible to make the simplest game and do that. I know how it feels to be told that. I used to hate that advice. I had a great idea and I knew I could make it, but I found out I couldn't make my 3D lightweight RPG. I instead made a 2D puzzle mystery game. Using tools that I didn't have like Unity should make things much easier for you. Unity might even allow you to break into 3D after a few weeks of learning the software.

What you need are some gaming related demotivational posters to help you in the mood to develop games.

SOLID_6EC97F9C.jpg

MotivationalProgramming_3.png

90s_Games_Demotivational_by_BlackDragonA

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement