Advertisement

categories

Started by October 06, 2013 07:32 AM
1 comment, last by fir 10 years, 11 months ago

For me it is quite interesting problem and worth some thinking: what categories would you make to divide (separate) content on the forum devoted to game programming ?.

I post it in the lounge category because I would like to see it in general not necessary as a proposition in the context of this forum.

The categories I see here are somewhat different that I would make, especially in the technical group - If I would divide it I probably would start with making the groups 1. programming 2. production resources 3. society or something like that. I like the way a "production resources" group is divided here it is * design * music * visual arts * production *business this is quite fine, but the programming group of categories I think I will rewrite in some way, Some ideas how you would divide it ?

(though as to design I probably would divide the categories on "gameplay" (things related to gameplay ideas) and "writing" (more about stories, and the setting, plot of the game)

Categories:

-Programming
-Online Programming

If the forum has little activity, you want to keep the number of boards low. You don't need 8 boards with 2 threads each. But if the forum has a lot of activivity, you can branch it out into PC, mobile & consoles, etc.
Advertisement

Categories:

-Programming
-Online Programming

If the forum has little activity, you want to keep the number of boards low. You don't need 8 boards with 2 threads each. But if the forum has a lot of activivity, you can branch it out into PC, mobile & consoles, etc.

I think dividing is better (especially for one who want to focus on some area and filter out the other)

As to dividing programming group i would probably divide it on languages and platforms, think if such things like directx or opengl treat as a platform same like other hardware platforms or software libraries like sdl or some engines - but probably yes

then I should divide out some more "platform agnostic" technical topics into some categories (here i do not see clearly how, I am not sure if such division like AI or math+physics is ok, maybe it would be better to divide by game genres or some most common problem fields (but I am not exactly sure what it could be)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement