Advertisement

Trying to find an old DOS game, but don't know its name...

Started by October 04, 2013 11:32 PM
12 comments, last by Orymus3 10 years, 11 months ago

I've tried this in the past to find other games and it worked, so I thought I may as well try again.

Unfortunately I remember very little of the game, so what I'm about to describe won't be much and may be wrong or distorted memories, but maybe someone knew the game and remembers it by reading this.

To start off, the game was either a sort of an Adventure Game like Myst (but with many characters and dialogues) or Point&Click like Kings Quest 7 (I'm more inclined to the latter), quite low resolution, and somewhat colorful, I think. Might be a game from somewhere between 1991-94.

Now if I remember correctly, the game was a fable and it reminded me of Robin Hood children's fable version (and I think the main character was a fox too). I have a vague picture memory of a place that was either at the very beginning or very close to the it, and there were lots of characters. I'm not sure but I think it was some kind of party, I think it involved the King (even if indirectly and not with his presence) or some royal figures or authorities. The characters were all kinds of animals, but I do think it involved pigs. smile.png And I think it was in a forest. This may be far off, but nowadays when I think of that vague memory, it reminds me of that moment in the children's version of Robin Hood where he is in a bow and arrows competition with lots of people, some of them from the royal family.

Googling it didn't do much since the word fable just bombards me with... you know... Fable (II), and the descriptions don't really do much... If anyone recognizes anything like this, please throw in a name if you know it. Even if it's not exactly what is described, it may still be it (or it may be another great game worth reminding smile.png)

Thanks.

I created a pointer of type Toilet so I don't have to go to the bathroom as often.

This?

elkhall.png

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

Indeed! That's exactly the one.

So it didn't involve pigs, but bears (at the Rif Contest). :)

It seems it was remastered in 2003. Nice.

http://www.wyrmkeep.com/ite/

Thanks so much!

I created a pointer of type Toilet so I don't have to go to the bathroom as often.

Beware the Moose King!

Ah I miss those old games. Especially the Lucasarts point 'n clicks from that time.

elkhall.png

What will that fox say?
My current game project Platform RPG

Glad that was the right one. :)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

I was going to point Dragonsphere but I´ve alredy found your game, good!

Googling it didn't do much since the word fable just bombards me with... you know... Fable (II)
Instead of using Google, if I wanted to find a game like that I would certainly look in a lot of Adventure\Point-and-Click DOS game lists, looking for screenshots and names that sound familiar.

Yeah next time maybe look directly at http://www.mobygames.com/ instead of google.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/inherit-the-earth-quest-for-the-orb

That will depend on how much free time and patience I have at the moment. Had sunandshadow not replied here, I would have found the game just a an hour later by doing an image search for "old dos game with animals and fox". It leads you right into this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/31/Inherit_the_Earth_-_Quest_for_the_Orb_Coverart.png

This is why I prefer to do google searches, or threads like this one.

Looking through long lists of games when I only have a very vague image in my mind is kind of a daunting task, and quite time consuming. In the case of this game it might be easier than it normally would, because there aren't many old adventure games with animal characters like this one, but I'd still have to go through many images of irrelevant stuff.

But I've found this to be the best way. Go in some large gaming forums and explain it a bit, and most likely someone will remember your game, even if it's some obscure title. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement