Advertisement

Non-Constructive Criticism

Started by August 23, 2012 09:28 AM
47 comments, last by Alamar 12 years ago

Asking a teacher for help with completing a project is very different from asking a judge what his opinion is of your project.

The teacher knows what the judges are looking for however, so the question is pertinent.
Also, it's valid for teachers to use the Socratic method, especially science/engineering teachers.
Advertisement

[quote name='Ectara' timestamp='1345786191' post='4972893']
Asking a teacher for help with completing a project is very different from asking a judge what his opinion is of your project.

The teacher knows what the judges are looking for however, so the question is pertinent.
[/quote]
But now the analogy isn't. The only way that still makes sense is if the poster responding to my help thread knows the wants of the person receiving my finished product, and I'm making it for me.

Also, it's valid for teachers to use the Socratic method, especially science/engineering teachers.

Playing Devil's Advocate is much more likely. I wouldn't mind it, if it actually led to a solution.

I'm not looking for bad criticism, but I'm also not looking for _good_ criticism. I never asked for any of it, and it is unwarranted. I'm trying to get a job done, and looking for the next step. Criticizing my technique takes me nowhere, whether it is good or bad.
[/quote]
This site takes a holistic approach to "questions". We don't focus on answering the question before us, but also challenging assumptions behind the question, and striving to come up with the best answer, which sometimes is a global rather than local solution.

This is a real benefit. There are many newbies, some intermediate programmers and even a few experienced individuals that get stuck in a dead end and are better pointed down an alternative path rather than struggling to complete the one they are on.

A good question is "Do you have access to math.h?"...
[/quote]
No, that is not a good question, it is a terrible question. One assumes the presence of such basics. One might as well ask if you have a compiler, or a keyboard. The onus is on the original poster to make it clear when they are in such unusual circumstances.

If I have to sell my project to you before I can get any help, then I'm in the wrong place.
[/quote]
You are reading us wrong. When we ask for the high level goal, we're not asking about the project itself. We don't ask beginners the detail of the games they are making. I imagine most of them are terrible - either poor imitations or new ideas that are poorly designed (at least mine were!). Their projects are, by and large, worthless.

But that doesn't matter, and we don't care. We've all been there - we know that when they get more experience, they will work on projects that are worthwhile. They don't need to "sell" the project, they need to sell their current approach. If you're doing something weird and need help, you had better be able to justify the weirdness - especially when there is an easy and obvious standard way of doing something.

What we are asking is for them to get out of the detail of the scenario. When someone asks about game networking, we ask them what kind of game they are making. We aren't asking them this because "adventure games are dead", "nobody wants CO-OP" or "I hate RTS", or something, we are asking this because the type of game affects the networking implementation.

Likewise with your dynamic grammar project. It isn't enough just to be able to syntactically parse an arbitrary grammar, one also needs to be able to make use of the parsed output. I could imagine there are very different implementation strategies, at the higher level, if one was attempting to make a self modifying language versus writing a text editor's syntax highlighter plug-in.

I believe that was the essence of Spline's question - what was your plan for the next step, once the parsing is done. Not questioning the existence of your project, but just not being able to see and understand the global problem, as well as the local one.
I've been lurking here for over a decade and have spent time in many other forums. Gamedev is *by far* one of the best in terms of balance between expert input, helpfulness and a positive culture.

Ectara, with all due respect, I looked through your posting history and found nothing even remotely inflammatory or provocative in anyone's dealings with you, only the general pattern of probing you to help weigh up the best course of action for your project. No one has to give up any of their free time to help anyone on here, yet they do. The help you have recieved does not flag up as unusual or antagonistic based on my decade of reading, believe me if you want to know what real flaming/abuse is like, have a read of one of the many lesser forums out there. I think there is a big misunderstanding here on your part and I hope you can eventually see this so you will take advantage if this truly excellent community here.

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1345780398' post='4972875']
Choose the first option and there's no problem. Choose the last and you're not going to have a good time on the internet.

Yes, now we're down to the heart of the thread. If I choose to ignore what they said and assume they meant well [...]
[/quote]

I should know better then jumping into this thread...
But here, you totally misunderstand hodgman.
It isn't about "ignoring what he said", its about that human communication isn't perfect, especially written, and that you have _no_way_of_knowing_ the actual intent behind the words.
But it is entirely up to you what you assume about that intent and how you react to it.

The only thing you really know in this case is that someone has taken some time out of their day to write a response to you.
You don't even know how well he grasps the english language.
It seems pretty likely, specially on this forum, that he did it because he wanted to help, not because he wanted to start a fight with you.
Advertisement

The parser/generator is unique as far as I can tell; it reads in grammar, and then generates a state machine in memory, which then can be used to parse a language described by the grammar.

Cool, so something like the syntax highlighting engines in IDEs?

[quote name='Ectara' timestamp='1345775994' post='4972856']
The parser/generator is unique as far as I can tell; it reads in grammar, and then generates a state machine in memory, which then can be used to parse a language described by the grammar.

Cool, so something like the syntax highlighting engines in IDEs?
[/quote]
It could be used for this; the parser can either output the next token in the input until the input is finished, or it could generate an abstract syntax tree; this tree could be used for syntax highlighting, compiling something, running an uncompiled scripting language. But yes, an IDE would be an excellent example. It'd be terribly annoying to compile a parser for all of these languages; my IDE alone has about 180 languages and dialects. Providing a simple grammar file for each of the languages is far easier, and much easier to portably add support for a new language.
Personally, I am a big fan of efficiency, which is why I often start from scratch, or reinvent the wheel... : )

But how can that be efficient, you ask? Because I'm thinking long term... The better I understand how something works now, the faster I can solve problems with it 10 years from now : )

I'm also a big fan of 'learning to fish', so that helps ; )

-Alamar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement