Advertisement

Ouya

Started by July 11, 2012 03:20 PM
33 comments, last by MrJoshL 12 years, 1 month ago
Out of curiousity, is their current controller different than the one they originally showed? It looks like the touch screen portion of it is smaller and now circular? Was it always that way? Am I going crazy?
I don't really have any thoughts.

An ouya is the android hardware I already have in a different box. I can already do HDMI out, and hook up a blue tooth controller. Their biggest software announcement so far is the 3d remake of Final Fantasy 3, which I already paid for on my android device.

From experience, Android is a horrible gaming OS. The Java virtual machine flakes out after awhile, and either crashes hard, or gets really sluggish and drops the frame rates down to single digits.
Advertisement

The Java virtual machine flakes out after awhile, and either crashes hard, or gets really sluggish and drops the frame rates down to single digits.

Does that apply to games which are written mostly with the NDK?

[quote name='Daaark' timestamp='1344635936' post='4968210']
The Java virtual machine flakes out after awhile, and either crashes hard, or gets really sluggish and drops the frame rates down to single digits.

Does that apply to games which are written mostly with the NDK?
[/quote]The NDK doesn't sidestep Java. The NDK lets you compile bits of a c/c++ program into a library. Your java program will then call those library functions at the appropriate times. You will still need to handle all the system events (phone calls, home button, battery notifications, etc..) from your main java program.

I would love to develop for an actual console (I'm a hobby project person, so obviously I can barely make PC stuff), and Ouya seems like it is feasible. I just wish they would have gone with a custom variant of GNU/Linux as opposed to a custom variant of Android. Android was built for portability over performance with the Dalvik/Java compiler, the NDK vs SDK, and the lack of NDK support. Since the Ouya is just one platform, it would have been smarter to just make an optimized and custom version of a PC operating system that runs on ARM like the ArchLinux ARM that is available for the Raspberry Pi. It has a tiny memory footprint and could be much more performance enhanced than Android in both OS and API. The only problem being that you cannot simply port an Android game to Ouya like you can now. But I think that having a Linux powered Ouya might have for some better games as far as technical quality goes as opposed to Android. But, I guess we'll see how this turns out. I already bought one.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement