Advertisement

Ouya

Started by July 11, 2012 03:20 PM
33 comments, last by MrJoshL 12 years, 1 month ago

7) The specs are outdated AS OF TODAY, not as of release. This thing is obviously not designed to compete with the 360/PS3 on hardware stats -- they're open about the low-power specs. So... It's like someone told this guy that Ouya was the new Xbox720, and is shooting it down based on that false assumption?

This disappoints me. Why would I get a game console that is weaker than hardware that was out 6 years ago? Should I not be able to get a 360/PS3-level console for $99? By the time this comes out, those hardware specs will be 7 years old. Surely they can cheaply mass-produce something on that level. Right....?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

First of all, I've never heard of the people behind it until yesterday

You gotta check the CEO on linkedin man... She's been around.
On that note, a 10 jobs in 10 years kinda spree isn't what I call stability though, so you never know... it's definitely not a scam but:

Most people don't seem to realize that if the company goes bankrupt, there's nothing that's gonna bring you that console you've put 99$ for.
I'm definitely a waiter, especially since there's no discount...
Advertisement
I've been thinking about this, and here's the conclusion I came to.

"They're selling a dream, not a solution."

That is precisely why it is so popular in getting backed on Kickstarter, and why it's very unlikely to actually succeed. The Kickstarter video is carefully tailored for the average consumer, pushing the right buttons and giving him hope.

All the perceived success so far is based only on the positive consumer reaction. But this says nothing about the developers, and this console won't go anywhere without developer support. Developer support is lukewarm at best, so far. Why wouldn't it be, since there are already plenty of platforms that are open enough to support games like Braid, Limbo, World of Goo, etc.

"If openness is your main concern, I’m not sure what is stopping you from targeting the PC and selling games directly through your website. I personally believe that until you’ve got a high quality game on your hands, where you sell it or which gatekeepers you have to get past aren’t your biggest problems."

Read this excellent article for more details.

http://penny-arcade....u-should-be-ske

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1342080339' post='4958295']
7) The specs are outdated AS OF TODAY, not as of release. This thing is obviously not designed to compete with the 360/PS3 on hardware stats -- they're open about the low-power specs. So... It's like someone told this guy that Ouya was the new Xbox720, and is shooting it down based on that false assumption?

This disappoints me. Why would I get a game console that is weaker than hardware that was out 6 years ago? Should I not be able to get a 360/PS3-level console for $99? By the time this comes out, those hardware specs will be 7 years old. Surely they can cheaply mass-produce something on that level. Right....?
[/quote]That's speculation on my part. It's probably going to be somewhat on par with the PS3/360, but that depends on the specific chip they choose. There's a DX11/GL4 compatible Tegra coming out in Q1 next year, which would be very nice...
But the point is that it's not likely going to be a PS4/720 competitor, which you should expect with the price tag.

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1342080339' post='4958295']

[/quote]
To be fair though, it has 4 cores* (360 has 3 cores) and 1GB of RAM** (360 has 512MB), so it's not like it's seriously lagging behind current generation consoles. I don't expect people to be able to milk as much out of it as they have the 360 and PS3, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment.

[size=2]* and **: We don't know how fast the cores are or exactly what kind of RAM is in it.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

I don't expect people to be able to milk as much out of it as they have the 360 and PS3, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment.

I expect that this system will have a C-like API and a XNA-like API. The first for people who want to "milk" it and the latter for people who just want to make games.

To be fair though, it has 4 cores* (360 has 3 cores)

Well, you also have to remember that the 360 has hyperthreading on each cores. So effectively, it has 6 cores/CPUs.

Advertisement
Well, when the SDK shows up, i'll be trying to develop something, why not?
This disappoints me. Why would I get a game console that is weaker than hardware that was out 6 years ago?[/quote]
Apparently people keep buying nintendo products. Have you read the articles coming out about the wii-u?

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims

"They're selling a dream, not a solution."

Isn't that from Robert Boyd?

As far as I'm concerned, the big upside is that it runs on Android.
I've tossed them a few questions through their DEV email to see how easy it will be to port android titles to the Ouya. I mean, if I'm going to develop android and it's not that bad to port... Why not right?
Well, I believe they're swamped right now, so I'm still expecting a reply...

This disappoints me. Why would I get a game console that is weaker than hardware that was out 6 years ago?

Apparently people keep buying nintendo products. Have you read the articles coming out about the wii-u?
[/quote]
Yeah, I have. Which is why I'm most likely not getting one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement