Advertisement

IPAD is the new WIN PC?

Started by February 18, 2012 05:10 PM
49 comments, last by Lithic 12 years, 6 months ago

You know I figured that Windows would be moving in the direction of having their OS work on the phone, tablet, and desktop. Code once, launch everywhere. Android if I remember correctly has already done that with the Ice Cream version of their OS. I read that Apple is starting to move in that direction as well. I believe the first to do this and do it well will be the winner of the computer wars. All-Purpose OS + App Store = Skynet. Mark my words.

Couldn't agree more.

I want a single device that I can use to read pdfs in bed, use in touch-mode in car or airplane, with keyboard-dock when out, and with a keyboard/mouse when at home. I want to be able to multittask with more than 1 app at once (i.e. Gtalk and browser both open and on screen at once, rather than having to switch between two full-screen apps). I want to be able to develop and write code in Visual Studio and whatnot. Also, I don't want to worry about update cycles for two versions (mobile and desktop-class) of the same apps.

Something along the lines of Samsung Slate 7 with Windows 8 is what I'm waiting for. I've already played around with W8 on a tablet for a month, and I see a lot of potential (for a user like me; grandmas and non-tech ppl would still benefit with choosing iPad).

So are you saying that Win 8 is still "difficult" compared to iOS? Really? Though admittedly I found my WP7 frustrating (moved from HD2 to HD7), I find it a joy now. Tap on square and you're there. Back arrow, Home Key, and Magnifying glass are straightforward and easy to use. I guess my question is what is it about the Win 8 that would make grandma and non-techies say, "oh no, where's my iPad?"?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
I haven't try Win 8 yet so I cannot comment. But looking locally, WP7 is a tough sell. You know it's a very tough sell when it come bundled with Office Home / Student + Wireless Mouse combo. The idea is that the phone come with an expensive (compared to local salary) software, but it almost no cost to Microsoft (since it's just a license + dvd to them).

Seriously?

I do try some Windows 7 tablet + laptop (Toshiba) and I just don't like it. It felt like half assed GUI slapped on top of Win7. There is a reason why tablet PC never come off until Apple released iPad - the user experience is very important.

And I think other than the hardware variations and support, the lack of updates for bugs could really hinder serious software developer in case of Android. Nothing is more sad than have a problem with 2.1 update 1, fixed in 2.2, and your user actually have to buy a new hardware just to use your software normally. Not to mention other problems that arise because of modification to android by the manufacturer side.

I have experiences some quirks with my android 2.1 phone that i knew can be fixed without hardware changes - more like bugs - but android platform is not an upgrade / update friendly ecosystem. if companies previously locked any update capability that they have to release special tool to allow that - you know if there is any bugs, you will end up with it for a long, long, time.

I don't want to suffer the same thing with my tablet. so my research to know that apple still updates 3 year old iphone 3GS is a good news to me. And knowing that all the app i want is there, I guess the ecosystem is there already.

it almost no cost to Microsoft (since it's just a license + dvd to them).

Seriously?

It's a major revenue stream for them, not just a license and a dvd.

Honestly, if you are getting a tablet to use for art, getting an ipad is stupid for a variety of reasons that are all tied to the hardware. I've heard a couple artists argue for how they can help you be productive, but really it's like the $1 box of markers when anybody who is serious should invest in either a serious tablet pc or tablet input.

The iPad offers no pressure sensitivity, the input isn't accurate, and the applications are generally subpar to make up for hardware limitations. If you look at some other tablets available with Wacom digitizers, they will outclass the iPad by leaps and bounds. Honestly, I would really consider waiting for windows 8 updates to existing hardware, because you'll be able to get the benefits of a tablet with the power of a desktop replacement laptop and far more useful wacom/ntrig enabled screen.
I would be careful with this logic - I mean, some people by OS X machines because of some arty software. Some people buy phones because of the Android software. There's nothing special about the IPAD here, and as you say yourself, the dominance doesn't compare to Windows. I agree that buying for software can compare for some people, but I think these reasons apply to various people, for various platforms.

some, it will take 2 years time or something after releasing an ios version before releasing android version (if ever).[/quote]In this sense, it's depressingly not like Windows.

With Windows, you get software mainly for Windows because it has 90% market share.

Yet in phones, we've got some awful Apple bandwagon that means IPhones get software even though it's never been number one. Android has over 50% market share, and even Symbian outsold Apple for the duration of its lifetime (Nokia now switching to WP7). It's like living in a world where OS X still only has 10% market share, yet most the software is written for OS X and not Windows! Depressing. Perhaps part of this I wonder is because Apple users seem more likely to pay for any old rubbish, and a lot of developers are blinded by the illusion of making millions. But then you also have every other website giving "View this on your IPhone" website-wrapper apps, yet ignoring the 90% of us who don't have one.

(Of course, I realise you're talking of larger size tablets, where Apple do have a lead head-start, but I'm just saying, the app bandwagon didn't come from that, but it seems more a follow on from IPhone hype.)

Don't get me wrong, I agree that software is important. This is one area where Windows 8 will have an advantage, since it will have the far greater compatibility with desktop Windows. How does the IPAD software collection compare to what's already available on Windows laptops, and in future slates/tablets?

I have no intention of getting a tablet, as I already have one - my Nokia smartphone. But for larger devices, yes software is important, which is why I prefer Windows laptops and netbooks, which give me far greater range of software (as well as more power, a proper non-phone OS, a more convenient form factor, and a physical keyboard). I would have no interest in an IPAD, as there's no software I have any interest in, that I don't already have on netbook or phone. I might pick up an Android tablet at some point as a toy to program games for, though.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

I agree entirely with shurcool - and the Samsung slates do look cool, all they need is a touch-improved Windows which comes with Windows 8.

My only gripe is that although the slates function as desktops and tablets, they don't look like they'd sit on a lap very well smile.png I do find it odd that despite the prevalance of touch in phones (even low end) and desktops now, touchscreens on netbooks and laptops are still rare - maybe this will come with Windows 8?

(for a user like me; grandmas and non-tech ppl would still benefit with choosing iPad).
Even non-geeks aren't completely stupid. I mean yes, maybe your Grandma has never used a computer, but many non-geeks are still used to things like Windows. They like the familiarity of desktop browsers (which could be Firefox, doesn't have to be IE), and I've heard people say they dislike using a phone browser like Android's on a tablet, where they expect better. They may have needs for software that's more than simply f*rt apps - e.g., software for work, or being creative. Also as Alpha_ProgDes says, Windows 8 presumably is making touch-oriented improvements rather than just being Windows 7 on a tablet.

The iPad offers no pressure sensitivity, the input isn't accurate, and the applications are generally subpar to make up for hardware limitations. If you look at some other tablets available with Wacom digitizers, they will outclass the iPad by leaps and bounds. Honestly, I would really consider waiting for windows 8 updates to existing hardware, because you'll be able to get the benefits of a tablet with the power of a desktop replacement laptop and far more useful wacom/ntrig enabled screen.

I agree. I do find it amusing that for years, Apple users said they couldn't use Linux and Gimp instead of Macs, because Photoshop was so important. Yet now they pretend the IPAD is great for artists, because you can do a fingerpainting app...

Also depressing that some Windows Slate reviews I've seen mock them for working with a stylus - they're branded as "old fashioned", yet the reality is that styluses are only optional. Touchscreens that work with styluses work fine with touch - the problem is that devices like IPADs can't work with styluses, even when you want that.

I do try some Windows 7 tablet + laptop (Toshiba) and I just don't like it. It felt like half assed GUI slapped on top of Win7. There is a reason why tablet PC never come off until Apple released iPad - the user experience is very important.
Tablets have been around and mainstream for the last 10 years - in the sense of mobile computing - we just didn't call them "tablets". We call them smartphones, media players, PDAs etc. If you mean specifically a tablet _PC_, as in just like a desktop platform, an IPAD doesn't qualify there either.

I'm not sure even the IPad would be called a "tablet" if it was the only device released - the term really appeared because of the multitude of Android devices (which started appearing shortly before the IPAD, actually, so even if we just look at today's tablets, it's not true that Apple were first), as then we needed a generic term. Without Android, people would just say "IPad", like before it was "IPod Touch". How is an IPod Touch not a tablet, aside from marketing? Even now, I commonly see "IPad and Tablets" in shops.

As for Windows 7, it was never designed for touchscreens. Of course it won't be great. No, MS have yet to get a desktop OS onto touchscreens - but neither have Apple (does OS X run on it?)

I hear that Android sales are high, but I'm not entirely sure who they're selling to. I've been in multiple meetings lately where every single person has an iPhone, or an iPad, or both.
But should we trust individual anecdotes over actual market data? Don't get me wrong, it's easy to feel there's a discrepency - the stats show us that Symbian, not Apple, was number one until 2011, and now it's Android, not Apple, who are number one, but why is it that everyone seems to be waving an IPhone around? But, I think we should still trust the evidence, not the anecdotes, and think of the reasons for the discrepency.

Remember that IPhones are more easily noticeable - the obvious Apple logo they all have, and the way they mostly look the same. If you notice that and think Apple are therefore number one, you've been tricked by the marketing trick intended to do that. Not to mention in my experience, IPhone users seem far more likely to walk around with their phones in front of them all the time, or tell you they've got an IPhone for some reason. Similarly online, how everything done on an Apple phone is "posted from my IPhone".

Also remember it's a worldwide market; and don't confuse sales with installed userbase. In the US, where smartphones lagged behind other countries; where Nokia had little presence; and where RIM was perhaps more for business use, the IPhones gained a head start. But even in the US, Android has long since become number one. You may well be seeing higher numbers also partly due to installed userbase which will lag behind actual sales, but with the rate Android is going, IPhone will head towards a niche platform like OS X on desktop (albeit, a niche still probably given far more hype by the media).

Android is kind of a rough OS, kind of inefficient and slow, and the Market is not a very smooth experience.[/quote]Well now we're talking personal opinion smile.png Some people love Linux or OS X over Windows. Personally I think IOS is a rough OS; a platform that for years couldn't do copy/paste, multitasking etc simply isn't up to scratch for me. The first version couldn't even run apps, or support 3G.

I don't know that it's exactly valid to compare to Windows' dominance of PC, but I do want to make one prediction: iOS is going to shatter the Windows dam and you're going to see big Mac inroads over the coming years.[/quote]Smartphones have long shattered the Windows dam. Are people going to switch to using IOS devices instead of Windows devices? Maybe some will. I hope they don't shatter it - the sad thing is, a Windows monopoly is far preferable to one dominated by Apple's locked down platform.

Unfortunately Apple have a huge unfair advantage in all the media hype they get, and software support, despite being smaller than other platforms. I do worry that in 10 years' time, the only "computer" is a locked down Apple IPAD, and people can only publish software through them...

but in tablet space, the update and fragmentation is the worst offender - just look at samsung and their hardware screen size - 7,7.7, 8.x,10.1, and now 5.3(?). while in ios space, apple still release updates for ios 5 running on iphone 3gs released, like, 3 years before? I don't think there will be bug fixes updated for android 2.1 or 2.2. (this is one of the issue i have with my android phone - leading me to decided to buy ipad 3 instead).
Are we talking OS upgrades, or screen sizes (or both)? I don't think having choice of screen sizes is bad, on the contrary, choice is good. And there are several different kinds of IOS devices too.

Do most people care about upgrading an OS to a years old phone? Also, I think this is probably more an issue for Apple because a lot of their sales now are actually older IPhones selling more cheaply, but with the latest OS. With other platforms like Nokia and Android, this isn't an issue, because the companies produce low to mid range modern phones running the latest OS anyway.

It's too expensive for world-wide consumer market. And dropping the price would hurt the brand. Long term, iOS is Sony. Once a symbol of technical superiority, but mostly a pale shadow of itself. Still technologically superior in a few parts, but no longer premier choice of mainstream consumer.
Interesting point. History has shown us that people prefer lower cost solutions, and the higher end will never be the largest part of the market. Platforms that offer more choice, and run on the low end to the high end will, I hope, do better. (Also consider that there are already tablets - usually marketed as slates - that beat the IPAD hands down in specs, but at £1000 or more, far fewer people are interested.) At £500, a tablet competes with more powerful laptops and netbooks. At £100 or so, I might decide to have a tablet or two lying around just as an addition to my household.

---

(Purely anecdotal of course, but I can't help noticing that most of the people arguing here for something other than IPADs are talking about Windows 8, not Android. I'd fall into the same category myself - whilst I'd prefer Android over IOS, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about Android either, and would be more interested in what Windows 8 will bring. Will Windows 8 replace Android has being the generic OS choice to put on tablets, or will we perhaps see a mix - maybe Android still only smaller tablets, Windows on larger ones?)

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Advertisement

I find it amazing that there are probably more people who use an iPad than they use a Mac OSX. I wonder what is the percentage of people who have a iPad and a Win PC. For instance, out of all the Win PC users in the US, X% have an iPad as well. If the iPad was a desktop, would people switch?
I think a lot of non-dekstop computing devices would give good competition to Windows and especially OS X. E.g., how many Symbian or Android phones are there compared to Windows or OS X? Or consider the 2 billion or so Java phones? Or console sales?

The only artists I know who use an iPad are using it for display, review, and sharing, not production. Basically, they're using it as an advanced digital picture frame that lets them interact with the data: Sorting, flagging, grouping, etc.

For that, it is fine, but personally I find the case a pain in the ass to hold comfortably.

iPads and the majority of other tablets are data/information/art consumption devices, not production. If I can't solidly attach a keyboard to it, and easily link the system to the rest of my computing network, then they're really just an oversized paperweight in my eyes.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
i'm busy now so i'll make it quick.

there is a few things that made me consider what a tablet is, personally

- a good consumer hardware (i've tried reading ebook pdf on my android phone, the screen just not cut it).
- always on hardware with long operating hour. enough to start using it in the morning and charge it at night.
- weight that doesn't break your backbone (i own a laptop. i know).
and much much more.

i know tablet has come a long way (i can still remember xp laptop that you could flip the keyboard around and make it stylus only).

and this topic mainly ipad vs android in an linux vs ms in consumer space.

thing is. afaik, Oracle only support ios5 (iphone & ipad) only for a lot of their software (business intelligence, afaik). so say what you want. it might not be the 'media creator' as in 3d studio max on ipad thingy - but to a lot of people, maybe most people, most of their media can be create using only ipad (text ,speadsheet, etc. etc).

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/513001

while oracle app is not what i'm talking about, i have enough ipad only app to warrant buying it.
[quote name='FableFox' timestamp='1329631990' post='4914442'] it almost no cost to Microsoft (since it's just a license + dvd to them). Seriously?
It's a major revenue stream for them, not just a license and a dvd. Honestly, if you are getting a tablet to use for art, getting an ipad is stupid for a variety of reasons that are all tied to the hardware. I've heard a couple artists argue for how they can help you be productive, but really it's like the $1 box of markers when anybody who is serious should invest in either a serious tablet pc or tablet input. The iPad offers no pressure sensitivity, the input isn't accurate, and the applications are generally subpar to make up for hardware limitations. If you look at some other tablets available with Wacom digitizers, they will outclass the iPad by leaps and bounds. Honestly, I would really consider waiting for windows 8 updates to existing hardware, because you'll be able to get the benefits of a tablet with the power of a desktop replacement laptop and far more useful wacom/ntrig enabled screen. [/quote]

Not in a country that quite high on piracy - specially in the home/student sector. From personal experience, there was a person that i know kept using pirated software, and only buy original "student everything software" when they will continue the last year of studies oversea.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/malaysias-software-piracy-losses-rise-to-rm1.46b

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement