🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux Emulator

Started by
9 comments, last by Zero_Infinity 22 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone know where I could find an emulator to run Linux on Win ME OS? I have little exp on Unix & am searching to learn more.
Advertisement
Depends what you mean by emulator. You might want to check out Virtual PC or VMware. Or perhaps LINE.

Edited by - Martee on October 1, 2001 10:52:16 PM
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Bochs is an open/free IA-32 emulator. I don''t know if it''s complete/good enough to run Linux on.

VM-Ware probably does what you want.
Bochs is a real PC emulator which implies that it''s horribly slow. On my 550Mhz machine it runs with like 2Mhz.

There''s also Plex (www.plex86.org iirc) and VM Ware (commercial), both of which are PC virtualizations (afaik). This means they aren''t emulating every single instruction, but only those which require OS level permissions. This makes them a lot faster.

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
If you want to learn how the UNIX command line works, you can always download Cygwin from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin. This gives you a bash shell, the gcc compiler, perl, python and a lot of other common tools from a UNIX environment.

"A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45"

Edited by - Arild Fines on October 2, 2001 12:44:34 PM
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Bochs is the only one I could get up & running. Is there a VM Ware for 9x or is it simply, NT/2000? And it looked to me that Virtual PC is the microsoft of emulators.

If Bochs is the only Linux emulator out there, is there anyway I can get it on its feet. Like I said I''m new to Linux, so much love would me reciprocated.

I read most of the docs & I have a few questions. 1)Can U run any Linux soft on it or can U only run small apps? 2)Where''s a good place to find soft I can run on it?
I believe VMware is only for Windows NT.
What do you mean Virtual PC is the Microsoft of emulators? IMHO, it''s a much better product than VMware. Whereas VMware is essentially a Linux/Windows emulator, Virtual PC is much closer to being a true virtualised environment, capable of running any OS. Also, it''s available for Windows and Mac.

You can *try* to run any Linux app on Bochs, although because it''s still extremely beta, I suspect that many apps will refuse to work.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
VMWare runs on WinNT and Linux.

I''ve never actually tried to run Linux *inside* Bochs because Bochs is just horribly slow. However, once the kernel boots successfully there''s no reason why anything shouldn''t work (well, apart from driver issues). And from what I''ve heard, Linux does run on it.

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
There are distros that can install to an image on a FAT/FAT32 partition without the need to repartition. Slackware has one of these that can fit entirely on one 100mb zip disk and be completely run from it.
I recently bought SuSE Linux, and it was very easy to install. The only bad part was that I got screwed with a Chromatic Research MPact2 graphics card, which, as you all know, went out of business. So I am waiting for my new ATI card to come in the mail (it''ll be coming any day now...) until I install KDE/GNOME.
Go to WinLinux.com, they have a great thing called WinLinux that can run from Windows, without the need of a partition. I think the best way to have a Linux emulator, though, is to just buy Linux for $30 (don''t you just love Linux), because things like WinLinux cost about the same, and Linux comes with around 1,000 - 2,000 programs, depending on dist..
C++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement