Advertisement

Valve has released an app for Steam!

Started by January 31, 2012 03:13 PM
17 comments, last by Luckless 12 years, 7 months ago
I was a bit confused by this, surely Steam already has an app, isn't that the whole point, an app for downloading games? Oh, you mean a application for [ETA: a few makes of] phones - that apparently can't run the games that you are downloading.

It seems they only support Android and Apple phones, not Nokia, so sorry, I'm not interested (I guess we should be glad they at least support Android, rather than only 3rd-place Apple).

How does it work out on interest? I guess it's only the inverse of downloading a phone application via a desktop app (that can also be done say, on Nokia's store, but most people do it direct to phone). But does one actually download the game via the phone, or is it still done to the PC app?

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

I was a bit confused by this, surely Steam already has an app, isn't that the whole point, an app for downloading games? Oh, you mean a application for [ETA: a few makes of] phones - that apparently can't run the games that you are downloading.

It seems they only support Android and Apple phones, not Nokia, so sorry, I'm not interested (I guess we should be glad they at least support Android, rather than only 3rd-place Apple).

How does it work out on interest? I guess it's only the inverse of downloading a phone application via a desktop app (that can also be done say, on Nokia's store, but most people do it direct to phone). But does one actually download the game via the phone, or is it still done to the PC app?

I think it would be super awesome if I could download and play the games on my phone but any carrier would likely block that app because it would be taking away one of their sources of income.
Advertisement

The whole five of you who don't already pay ridiculous sums every month for unlimited texts.

International texting isn't always covered in unlimited texting plans. I don't have to pay extra to text people back home (wisconsin), but none of them can text me without huge international text charges.
Yeah, if I want to text a friend in Canada or the US, then no extra charge on my plan. Want to text one of my buddies in the UK or Ireland? Twenty cents a pop I think.

Plus, as I said, texting them on my cell assumes they actually own a cellphone. Not to mention that there are more than a few people I game with who are merely people I know as regulars from the server. We're friendly, game together all the time, but more than a few aren't exactly at the point where I would trust them with my cell number. Still would be nice to be able to get a message from them if the group is getting up to something while I'm not directly at my computer. Maybe I'm out of the house and have to decline, or maybe I'm just upstairs sitting in the kitchen waiting for my tea.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Still would be nice to be able to get a message from them if the group is getting up to something while I'm not directly at my computer. Maybe I'm out of the house and have to decline, or maybe I'm just upstairs sitting in the kitchen waiting for my tea.

That's sort of the niche that facebook chat/messaging fills already for me. Because steam has never been terribly good at delivering messages while offline/away, I have never relied on it as a messaging solution. If they wish to recapture that niche in my internet use, they are going to have to offer far more compelling reasons.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Facebook chat doesn't work from within steam overlay. Also means you have to mix your "game friends" with people who you actually know and are real friends with.

I wouldn't let the "Irish Boys" from the game community I play with have anything to do with any of my other friends or family members. It would... End badly.
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

I wouldn't let the "Irish Boys" from the game community I play with have anything to do with any of my other friends or family members. It would... End badly.

Guess I'm overly picky about who I game with. Everyone I routinely interact with on Steam or XBox Live, and 90% of my facebook friends, are friends in the meat world too.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1328045636' post='4908166']
Plus it's basically free texting for PC gamer nerds now.

The whole five of you who don't already pay ridiculous sums every month for unlimited texts.
[/quote]

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was an international site. Maybe you got unlimited texing in the U.S, but over where I live we don't get anything like "unlimited texting" (or even close).

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1328212679' post='4908826']

Guess I'm overly picky about who I game with. Everyone I routinely interact with on Steam or XBox Live, and 90% of my facebook friends, are friends in the meat world too.
[/quote]

I just don't want them hitting on any of my cousins. They're great guys, just a little on the weird side.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement