Advertisement

What to do when a name you chose as a business name is taken

Started by May 10, 2011 10:44 AM
20 comments, last by ryan20fun 13 years, 4 months ago
Cool company names are so many abound that this seems stupid. But hell, you've gotten some great suggestions! Personally, I'd go with Sarif Industries or Kung-Fun... :)
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2]."

[size=2]~ [size=1]Antheus

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305024284' post='4808905']
Hi.
anybody got any ideas on a new name ?, i had thought of a name Fun-ko (abiut 3 years ago) and it is used by a toy manufacturer.
anybody got sugestions on a new name, a better name.
Any and All help is Much Appreciated
Thanks.

"The World's Longest Name for a Company" has a nice ring to it.
[/quote]

[quote name='Daaark' timestamp='1305041765' post='4809003']
'Buy my Games' :) Suggestive name.

This made me laugh, because not too far from where I live there is a bike store called "Buy My Bikes". They run commercials occasionally on the local stations and they are the most annoying commercials I have ever seen.
However I've heard that they're service is awesome and everyone who goes there loves the shop.

As for the OP's question, how about 'The Company Name I Wanted Was Already Taken'?
[/quote]

[quote name='Zeypher' timestamp='1305111959' post='4809353']
Think about it this way! Apple was taken... whether they knew it or not, they've used it. Got big and suddenly some other company who has the same name wanted to sue them for it. They paid the royalities for it, but since you are big... that was short change and won't hurt your business. (Both companies still exist)

This is a slightly different issue. At the time that Apple Computers started they were JUST a computer company. Both companies operated in different markets that meant that there would be little to no chance of confusion between the two companies.

If you own a machine shop call "Dream Machines", and I own a game company called "Dream Machines", and someone comes into my office asking how many pistons I can fabricate in a week for them,... I'll point them in your direction (assuming I know you) and cannot steal business from you by taking the job they originally planned to give you.

Technically we could sue each other over the names, but the first to go there needs to have a strong reason to do so or risk being smacked with the whole frivolous law suite bit. For instance if you had the machine shop and had been known for making bike parts, and I started a bike shop under the same name after the fact, then you could have grounds to sue me if you were moving to expand to a dedicated bike division with its own front shop. However, if you had the machine shop, and I opened a wedding cake shop under the same/similar name, and you later moved into my market, then you would have a harder time defending your rights to the name.

It can be a tricky line to walk, but there are thousands of examples of different businesses operating under the same name around the world. If you can be sure you're not going to come into market conflicts and are willing to back pedal and do a quick name change while saying you're sorry, then it can come out as not so big of a gamble.
[/quote]

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305024284' post='4808905']
i had thought of a name Fun-ko

Just switch out the n and the k and you'll be golden.

[/quote]

good names, think im going to go with Fu-o. :cool:

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement