Advertisement

Dude they cancelled SGU!

Started by March 13, 2011 01:20 AM
36 comments, last by way2lazy2care 13 years, 6 months ago
WTF is wrong with the world? How is it possible that poorly written series like Heroes or Lost make it and series like SGU and Firefly don't?
You see, this is why we can't have nice things. Because people is dumb.

Anyone else caring about this?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
While I never got that into any of the Stargate shows, I'm with you on Firefly. People don't like good writing, it's complicated and scary. Plus it's expensive, and good writing requires good actors to deliver, who are also expensive. Crappy writing just needs whatever soap opera reject showed up to casting with the least apparent drug problem, plus an industry standard effects team. And let's not forget the shows that calling "poorly written" would just barely apply to, like the glut of "reality" shows that are constantly on.

SGU at least got one more season than Firefly did, plus there are several other shows in the same canon (though they may not be the same quality, I don't know).

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Advertisement

While I never got that into any of the Stargate shows, I'm with you on Firefly. People don't like good writing, it's complicated and scary. Plus it's expensive, and good writing requires good actors to deliver, who are also expensive. Crappy writing just needs whatever soap opera reject showed up to casting with the least apparent drug problem, plus an industry standard effects team. And let's not forget the shows that calling "poorly written" would just barely apply to, like the glut of "reality" shows that are constantly on.

SGU at least got one more season than Firefly did, plus there are several other shows in the same canon (though they may not be the same quality, I don't know).

SGU was canceled like last year (at least announced this would be it's last season). I agree it sucks, but when you look at the successful shows that syfy has had, it doesn't quite match up. Don't get me wrong I love it, but it just doesn't match up.
I never got into SGU. The writers always seemed to play it way to safe on the show. They never really seemed to be in the danger nor had quite the response you would expect if they truly were. I liked Atlantis a lot better than SGU and wish they hadn't ended it quite so suddenly. Then again Scifi had a habit of cancelling really good shows (*cough* Farscape *cough*).

I also couldn't help but notice the Star Trek parallels the SG-1 spin offs seemed to be taking: SGA = DS9, SGU = Voyager.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

[quote name='Khaiy' timestamp='1299980306' post='4785064']

SGU was canceled like last year (at least announced this would be it's last season). I agree it sucks, but when you look at the successful shows that syfy has had, it doesn't quite match up. Don't get me wrong I love it, but it just doesn't match up.
[/quote]

That's the point. I'm sure any crappy reality show on E! is more successful but, then, should we watch that instead?
And while we are shouting out shows we wish weren't canceled, I'll throw out dollhouse. It starts so slow, but that last episode changes everything, and then it was canceled :(.

It was kind of doomed from the start because it does start slow, but still :(
Advertisement

That's the point. I'm sure any crappy reality show on E! is more successful but, then, should we watch that instead?

even other shows on syfy are drastically more successful. It never felt as complete as a BSG, the original stargates, or eureka.

It's a fine show, but it struggled to really push me from, "This is a good show," to, "This is an awesome show," or, "GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW."

It is a great show. Superior in many aspects to most other shows I've seen on that channel.

Merlin at 10PM on Fridays night? Come on! NO, REALLY: COME ON!!!

It is a great show. Superior in many aspects to most other shows I've seen on that channel.

But isn't Merlin made by a different company and just syndicated by syfy? I thought that syfy had to invest cash into producing the Stargate shows, which changes the formula a bit.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1299985695' post='4785085']

But isn't Merlin made by a different company and just syndicated by syfy? I thought that syfy had to invest cash into producing the Stargate shows, which changes the formula a bit.
[/quote]

Yeah, that makes much more sense for syfy to give SGU a crapy day/hour and indecent advertisement. I frankly don't understand that channel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement