Advertisement

Should I file a complaint against this Doctor?

Started by January 28, 2011 05:02 PM
29 comments, last by Ravyne 13 years, 6 months ago
What exactly would you report them for? Being thorough? It's not like the Dr. themself is profiting from the tests.

If you don't think they're right, get a second opinion.

Also, you don't have decent insurance if those tests would cost $8k. They shouldn't cost that much if you paid cash, let alone with a decent deductible or out of pocket maximum.

What exactly would you report them for? Being thorough? It's not like the Dr. themself is profiting from the tests.

If you don't think they're right, get a second opinion.

Also, you don't have decent insurance if those tests would cost $8k. They shouldn't cost that much if you paid cash, let alone with a decent deductible or out of pocket maximum.

Also sometimes it is worth it to tell them how much you'd have to pay out of pocket. Often places overcharge when they see that you are insured assuming your insurance covers a lot. Sometimes they'll work some magic so you pay less but they still get the full amount from the insurance company.
Advertisement
The irony is palpable. The REASON doctors order large batteries of tests like that is exactly because of sue-happy patients who are misdiagnosed because the test to differentiate their particular ultra-rare condition from some other condition wasn't performed.

You should totally report her for trying to be too dilligent. It would be funny.

The irony is palpable. The REASON doctors order large batteries of tests like that is exactly because of sue-happy patients who are misdiagnosed because the test to differentiate their particular ultra-rare condition from some other condition wasn't performed.

You should totally report her for trying to be too dilligent. It would be funny.

Side topic:

was anyone else as pleasantly surprised as I was that Obama called that out in the State of the Union?
Can't you just have the most important test to start with? It might eventually be sufficient to diagnose something or to exclude something other.
I think you were wrong in cancelling all the tests and I can ensure I am well aware of the cost issues right now.

Previously "Krohm"

Last time I did my taxes I saw that I could write off medical expenses. You should have gotten all of the tests and just put them on your taxes.
Advertisement

Last time I did my taxes I saw that I could write off medical expenses. You should have gotten all of the tests and just put them on your taxes.

you don't get that money back. It just means you don't pay taxes on it.
Length of time talking is a sign of bad bedside manners, but it isn't an indication of being a bad doctor. It doesn't really take all that long to analyse some symptoms and decide the best path for treatment.

Malpractice is confusing, if you slip on a McDonald's floor and the cashier suggest you go to the hospital, then you can sue the cashier for malpractice, since they made a diagnosis without the proper medical training. Malpractice laws also hurt both ways, because the doctor might not be able to tell you want she is thinking without running foul of malpractice laws. (Making a diagnosis without the proper backing, which I believe is the case here)

Still, if you don't like the bedside manner of your doctor, there's nothing wrong with switching. I suggest getting a second opinion, preferably at another hospital or clinic. Don't bring up the bill, since it's unethical to treat someone based entirely on how much they can pay, but do suggest you dislike the aggressiveness of the treatment plan, especially since CT scans are a mid to high radiation procedures and they don't do too much more than an MRI does, and the amount of tests seem excessive.

You can only deduct medical expenses over 7.5% of your AGI. And as someone else said, it's not a credit, you just don't pay taxes on it.
So this wasn't your primary care physician? Just a doctor you saw for this one issue only? You should really have someone that you can refer to as "my doctor" and not just as "a doctor". Also, you say you only spoke with the doctor for a few minutes. Out of curiosity, did you get any sort of checkup before talking to her from some nurses and such?

Anyway, rather than filling a formal complaint I would call up wherever she works and ask if you could speak to her for a few minutes about her behavior to see why she felt it was so important to schedule all those expensive tests based on your short conversation when you felt there were other, less expensive options that you could have explored. She might have had good reasons, she might not have, but at least you give her a chance to explain herself. I'm not sure she'd be 'allowed' to do that out of fear of making herself liable in some way, but its worth a shot before escalating.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement