Advertisement

Should I file a complaint against this Doctor?

Started by January 28, 2011 05:02 PM
29 comments, last by Ravyne 13 years, 6 months ago
I've had a problem with headaches and migraines lately. I went to see a doctor about it and here is the battery of tests she scheduled for me:

EKG
EEG
MRI
MRA
CT of head, neck, and spine
some doppler thing

I have decent insurance, but with deductibles and minimums I'd still be paying about $8000 for everything which would bankrupt me.

Everything I've read or heard said there are all kinds of possible reasons for my problem and that there are meds and simple tests a doctor can do to try to narrow things down before proceeding to those extremes. She talked to me for a few minutes at best and went over all these tests so fast I didn't really have time to respond. Basically she didn't really care about the specifics of my problem at all.

It looks like this piece of work is mostly focused on the bottom line and I think that goes against her oath as a doctor. I might be wrong about that but it's still clearly unethical.

Is this a state medical board type of complaint situation? I don't think it's technically malpractice.
Does your insurance not have any sort annual deductible cap or whatever? For instance, I my insurance has an ANNUAL deductible amount of $500.

Also, none of those tests account for something as simple as allergies.

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
It's really hard to give an answer to this through the internet...maybe you should consult a laywer first?

It's really hard to give an answer to this through the internet...maybe you should consult a laywer first?

I should have made it clear. I canceled all these tests and all she got out of me was one copay.

I just want to hit her in some way since I think doctors like her should not be doctors.

'mikeman' said:

It's really hard to give an answer to this through the internet…maybe you should consult a laywer first?

I should have made it clear. I canceled all these tests and all she got out of me was one copay.

I just want to hit her in some way since I think doctors like her should not be doctors.

Oh.

You know, I've heard stories of doctors who tried to 'fight the system' and were persecuted. Imagine that.

I don't know, I'm all for actions like that, but realize that you're running a risk here. That's all I'm saying.

I would not file a complaint.

Doctors are in a difficult situation.

On the one hand, they should try to keep it simple to reduce costs and prevent strain on the medical system. On the other hand, if they don't suggest all the test, or fail to perform a test that would have detected a serious condition, then they open themselves up to malpractice suits.

Headaches and migraines are symptoms of brain tumors. Imagine if you had brain cancer but the doc failed to test for it. That would be a very serious legal risk.

In a personal story, my father-in-law had those symptoms and ignored them for months. One day he became disoriented and had slurred speech. His co-workers correctly had him taken to the hospital for fear of a stroke. In fact he did have a stroke, which was caused by late-term brain cancer. He died from the cancer a short time later. Earlier detection may have allowed better treatment, allowing him to hit his 45th birthday.

From the doc's perspective it is better to go on the record as recommending the tests, then allowing you to accept or deny them as you see fit.
Since you don't agree with the doctor's advice, you should get a second opinion. You are right that it may be a simple condition and I would want to eliminate those options first. While there are many non-serious causes, it is still important to consider the less likely yet very serious conditions.
Advertisement
Imo - you can't file a complaint against a doctor for ordering tests. Obviously given the symptoms you described and the way in which you presented - that particular doctor thought those tests were valid. If you are concerned the doctor is wrong and may not have the money to pay for the tests, go to another doctor for a second opinion...

If something serious was wrong and the doctor failed to diagnose it, you would be on line with the multi-million dollar lawsuits.
[size="1"]"For any absurd set of thinking, you can probably find a non-zero percentage of the population who is utterly convinced of its truth."
I assume youre in the states, Fly to another country + have it done there, itll be a lot cheaper (including the plane ticket + as a bonus you get a holiday as well)

... it's still clearly unethical.

I don't see how it's "clearly" anything except her trying to figure out what's wrong with you. huh.gif If she scheduled all of those tests at the same time I could understand, but I'd be willing to bet you just misunderstood.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

'sooner123' said:

… it's still clearly unethical.

I don't see how it's "clearly" anything except her trying to figure out what's wrong with you. huh.gif If she scheduled all of those tests at the same time I could understand, but I'd be willing to bet you just misunderstood.

She met me once. Listened to my description of the problem for a couple minutes and rapidly scheduled ALL those tests right away.

And I know I didn't misunderstand because I've had each and every testing center, neurology center, etc. calling me trying to schedule appointments.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement