🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Literature?

Started by
3 comments, last by Arfa 24 years, 10 months ago
no, because I never needed a book about linux programming. It's all very logic and well documented.
manpages are a big help, e.g. if you want to learn how to program threads have a look at "man pthread_create".
you _really_ don't need a book if you know C/C++. the information you want is on your harddrive.

Sengir

--
Sengir
Advertisement
All the online documentation and manpages and stuff that I've found assume that you have a good working knowledge of the innards of Linux and/or operating systems in general. In many cases they don't even explain what the subject is, just how to use them. They assume that if you don't know what they are you wont need them.

I mean, all I know about threads is that they're used for multitasking - I've never needed to know any more than that. The docs jump straight in the deep end and after the first paragraph I invariably find myself extremely confused.

------------------
=> Arfa <=

=> Arfa <=
ok, you're right. the manpages do not explain what threads are, they explain how to use the api.
but if you want to know what threads are, you don't need a linux programming book, you need a book about modern programming techniques or threads especially.
ok, threads are processes which are running simultanously in the same memory space. this means they can run the same functions, can change the same global variables etc.
this can have advantages for multiprocessor systems, or for GUI-based apps. (e.g. one thread is fetching mails and the other keeps the GUI alive)
I don't see a reason for threads in games at the moment.
There are problems with threads which really enter functions simultanously which change the same global variables. then you have to implement some locking technique.

Sengir

--
Sengir
I've decided I need a book on how to program Linux. I'm a fairly competent programmer in C/C++, Python, BASIC etc. so the book doesn't need to waste any time teaching me these languages (the ones I've found do). I just don't have any programming experience of a Linux system (or any multi-threaded system come to that).

Any ideas?

------------------
=> Arfa <=

=> Arfa <=
I think there are advantages to using threads in games. Especially as more home users are starting to show up with SMP systems. It's nice to create another thread to save the game (especially if there's a lot to save) so that it doesn't stall the game. If you have the AI, and the rendering code, and whatever in separate threads on SMP system you'll see an increase in performance, and on single cpu systems you shouldn't have a decrease.

Of course, it will increase the programming complexity and the debugging complexity. So really it's a tradeoff like most everything else. Use it if it's necessary/desirable, don't if it's not.

Mmmm, Intel just dropped their prices again, time to get my second PIII-450 for my computer.

------------------
Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.

Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement