🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Laptops for developing

Started by
10 comments, last by deathtrap 13 years, 10 months ago
This fall I am doing a independent study of the Unreal Engine 3.
I was wondering what laptop would be best to run the engine?
My only option I can think of so far is either Alienware M11x or M15x.
Advertisement
How much are you looking to spend? You haven't specified an amount, so for all we know you could throw an infinite stack of money at the problem. :)

Edit: Also, what exactly do you mean by an independent study? Will you be developing a game from scratch based on UE3? Bear in mind that the requirements may vary greatly depending on the type of game and the design choices you make.
The only laptops I saw worth being qualified as "gamer" (with a good video card and 1080p screen) are the one from Sager and the Asus G series.
Moving to hardware.
I develop on the Alienware M11x. It's actually pretty handy as it has two different level graphics cards in it that you can swap between on a button press, which means you can test your games on two gfx cards very easily.

I have code which also runs on PS3 performing quite nicely on it.
Thats cool. I want to spend a max of 1500.
I am going to be designing levels using the Unreal editor kit and learning
how to use UnrealScript.
Also will be using C++ with DirectX thats all.

@Westie007 what types of things you were able to develop on your M11x.
I just checked it, 1366x768 resolution and 335M gfx card... not that good.
Got any particular reason for wanting a laptop? As I'm sure you know, the cost/performance ratio is much lower for a desktop than a laptop. If you need to use it in class, why not pick up a cheap, somewhat small laptop or even a netbook, and do your development on a desktop computer?
A laptop is portable.
I know desktops are good but I am not home most of the time.
I enjoy working on a laptop and I can work with it everywhere.
I am getting alot of mix answers here.
I've been developing a PSN game on it for a while now, it's more than enough to handle anything a hobby game developer can throw at it and obviously I'm using it professionally as well. The laptop can run Left for Dead 2 at max settings over 30 fps and handle Modern Warfare 2 pretty well.

It's a small laptop, only 12 inches, so it's a nice portable dev environment.

Obviously it's not the most powerful gaming laptop, but it's size is a massive advantage for me.

Of course, it depends on what you want.

I bought the M11x because it was small and portable, has good battery life and can play DirectX 10 games pretty well at 720p resolutions.

It's also not too small to make programming fiddly.

@Dunge: It's a 12" inch laptop. You'd be pretty hard pressed to beat it's specs...

[Edited by - Westie007 on August 5, 2010 2:49:27 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement