🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rockband Mod HELP!!

Started by
2 comments, last by ExcessNeo 14 years ago
Hey, I don't feel like signing up to a different website to ask this soo...

Is there a way I can get some kind of drum pad for my Rock Band kick drum, and use my real double bass pedals? Because

a) I would like to play with double bass, but I don't want to spend money on another Rock Band pedal because of reason b.
b) It's hard for me to switch from my real pedals which have good speed and response, to the stiff rock band stock pedal that makes everything harder to do.

So, if it's possible, please respond.

Thanks

~GoogaBonze();
VB is used by people who:1. Don't get pointers.2. Don't get semi-colons.3. Tried but failed at C++.
Advertisement
The Guitar Hero Drum Kit let's you connect any MIDI device and it works with Rock Band...
Various 3rd parties make drum pedals for rock band with much better feel and response, and varying degrees of "realism".

The one I have is a pedal which hangs from a spring that can be adjusted for tension. Its got a much nicer feel than the stock pedal.

On the very high-end, there are pedals which are actually just modified (real) drum pedals with the proper chain + rotary spring mechanism.

any of these kits will let you string together a couple pedals if you want to play a double-kick.

Also, if you're capable of doing the modding yourself, its fairly easy and cheap -- you need a magnetic reed switch, some wire, and a small-size headphone jack -- all of which you can get at any radio shack for a few dollars. I imagine a decent drum pedal can be picked up for $30-$40, or even less second hand.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Quote: Original post by Googabonze
Hey, I don't feel like signing up to a different website to ask this soo...

Is there a way I can get some kind of drum pad for my Rock Band kick drum, and use my real double bass pedals? Because

a) I would like to play with double bass, but I don't want to spend money on another Rock Band pedal because of reason b.
b) It's hard for me to switch from my real pedals which have good speed and response, to the stiff rock band stock pedal that makes everything harder to do.

So, if it's possible, please respond.

Thanks

~GoogaBonze();

In order to connect a kick trigger to your rock band drum kit you will need to get or make something to convert the signal from a piezoelectronic sensor into an on/off signal.

Kickbox
"Kickbox" Schematic

The original kickbox is available on sale for $35 at the moment. Or version 2 for $45 which is USB powered (and you can plug in your drum kit via a single port USB hub on it so you don't lose a port).

Then you will need some form of kick trigger to attach your double bass pedal to

Roland KD-8
Yamaha KP-65

Both will offer similar levels of performance although there is quite a difference in price. I can't remember if the KP-65 is slightly smaller than the KD-8 (i personally use a KD-8 on my roland TD-4K drum kit), also I think there is a sensitivity adjustment on the back, aswell as a second port so you could daisy chain two KP-65's and use two single pedals.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement