🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Screen Size ratios

Started by
5 comments, last by swiftcoder 14 years, 8 months ago
So I know this is a fairly odd question, but where did we come up with the screen ratios? 16:10 should be like 8:5 or something right? and 16:9 could be 4:3?
--Dbproguy - My Blog - Tips, Opinions and Reviews about C++, Video Games, and Life
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Dbproguy
So I know this is a fairly odd question, but where did we come up with the screen ratios? 16:10 should be like 8:5 or something right? and 16:9 could be 4:3?

16:10 could in theory be 8:5, Im assuming 16:10 was chosen for easy comparison with 16:9

16:9 could in no way be 4:3 though! 4:3 is either 12:9 or 16:12 depending on what you want to scale to.
Quote: Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Oh >.< I think I took the square root instead of finding a common factor.. My mistake.

Stupid question I guess.. http://www.dvdaust.com/aspect.htm helps explain some of the Aspect Ratios though.

Okay a valid question now: A DVD says "Formatted to fit 16:9 wide-screen televisions. The bars at the top and bottom are normal" So why does it still show bars on the top and bottom of my 16:9 monitor?
--Dbproguy - My Blog - Tips, Opinions and Reviews about C++, Video Games, and Life
Are you sure you have a 16:9 monitor and resolution? Many LCD-monitors today are 16:10. Also, check if the software (incorrectly) assumes you have a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor and pads with black bars, and then gives you a horizontally stretched image instead.
Oh >.< I think I took the square root instead of finding a common factor.. My mistake.

Stupid question I guess.. http://www.dvdaust.com/aspect.htm helps explain some of the Aspect Ratios though.

Okay a valid question now: A DVD says "Formatted to fit 16:9 wide-screen televisions. The bars at the top and bottom are normal" So why does it still show bars on the top and bottom of my 16:9 monitor?

Many movies are have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 ("cinemascope"), so you'd see black bars on a 16:9 screen.

Additionally it's also dependent on the resolution you use. You may use a 16:10 resolution on a 16:9 monitor. Or indeed think you have 16:9 monitor but in reality have a 16:10 monitor.

Also, your movie player might do some aspect correction of its own which might be incorrect, because it assumes a different monitor aspect and so on...

The possibilities are endless! ;)

Lol I know it's a 16:9 monitor, I'm running 1600 X 900 (oh it makes it SO easy to figure out)

I'm thinking that it has something to do with the software I'm using maybe.. If that's not it I have NO idea what it could be. Thanks for the suggestions though haha!
I'm thinking that it has something to do with the software I'm using maybe.. If that's not it I have NO idea what it could be.
'Formatted for 16:9' often means that they added the black-bars to the DVD itself. Completely useless, as 16:9 monitors add the bars anyway, and now you have bars on all 4 sides on a regular monitor [wink]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement