🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

linux game - breaking blocks

Started by
-1 comments, last by maxgpgpu 14 years, 11 months ago
I'm trying to find a linux game that I saw someone playing with 2 to 4 years ago on their fedora installation... perhaps fedora 8, but not certain. I believe the game came with the fedora DVD, but unfortunately I cannot remember the name. The game itself was quite simple, almost trivial. The best I can recall, you just point something (maybe a canon) at a small environment and shoot slow projectiles (maybe rocks). The environment was very simple... something like an entrance archway with a bunch of ?round? and rectangular blocks standing up in a circular wall around something in the middle. It sorta reminded me of stonehenge... sorta. All that happened was, the projectiles would impact the blocks/archway/structures and cause them to crack into two or more pieces, and the pieces would fall over. What was so compelling about this trivial senario to make me want to find this again after so many years? Well, the way the blocks cracked, and the way they fell over was so incredibly realistic... it made an impression on me. And I want to see that again - to see if I was remembering wrong, and perhaps to take a look at the physics source code to look for a few tips - especially the "breaking/cracking" algorithm, but also possibly the realistic collapsing aspect too (which should be fairly straightforward physics, but what the hey). Why? I'm creating a 3D game/vision/simulation engine for Linux and want to include a first rate collection of basic physics as standard features. Clearly I can do this myself, but this case was done so well (if my memory serves), maybe I can learn some cool ideas and tricks from the code or author. So, what's the name of that game. I assume that once I know the name, I can find it! I have ubuntu 9.04 myself, and none of the descriptions of the offered games makes me think this one is included. Thanks much everyone, for searching your memories.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement