🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux + Java = slow

Started by
6 comments, last by qurob 23 years, 1 month ago
Not only is it slow, it hardly works. I''ve tried Turbo, SuSE, and a ton of RedHats. I can''t play many games and some that work don''t work right. when they do, they are very slow. ugh. I love linux and java but.....hate developing on 2000 qurob@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Assuming that you are viewing these applets on netscape, forget it. Netscapes implementation of the Java VM under linux sucks big time. You''ll probably get frozen netscape processes and such too. Damn netscape all to hell...

RM

-=Kicking Butt and Writing Code=-

So what to do?
You can try Opera.
i love opera. . i am using it now ..
its the best browser .. just has a bit of problem when websites dont use CSS properly and they use those tags only supported by IE

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }
Try Konqueror. Not only can you specify the java implementation of your choice but all text is anti-aliased!

joeG

joeG
Always supposing you''re using one of the most recent XFree builds.

Oh, BTW, I had one neat effect using the Java SDK 1.3: it can''t handle german keyboards properly. It''s working in each and every application I''m using but that crap Sun made. I''m missing the [><|] and [+*~] keys. Talk about one hell of a time writing java programs in Forte. I''m now back to XEmacs. And C++.

Java SUCKS! Big time!
Shadowdancer, if you haven''t already, take a look at JDE .

BTW, a beta of JDK 1.4 is out for Linux. It seems that Sun has kicked Blackdown off the task of implementing the JDK in Linux and have taken the responsibility on themselves. Hmmm... Anyways, lots of cool new stuff to play around with.

joeG

joeG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement