🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GNU Compiler

Started by
3 comments, last by KwamiMatrix 23 years, 2 months ago
I am very new to Linux, and want to learn a lot more about it, as well a UNIX in gemeral. I will probably set up a partition of Red Hat 7.1 when I purchase my laptop for university, and if Sony Computer Entertainment releases the PS2 Linux kit for the American PS2, I will definately get it for my PS2. Anyway, my question is, what exactly does GNU stand for? I keep seeing this acromyn everytime a Linux compiler is being talked about. Also, how many different types of GUI''s are there avaliable for Linux, apart from KDE and GNOME? One more question. How does the KDE GUI look like. I know that GNOME is similar to Windows 9X and 2000 GUI, I think. Thanks. Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Advertisement
It stands for Gnu is not unix
and the gnu in there stands for gnu is not unix
and it keeps on going like dat

In response to your other questions:

AFAIK, the PS2 linux kit is available for Japanese hardware versions only with no plans for an American release. (That information is 2 months old, so it may not be the case now)

As for GUIs, there are plenty of internet sites containing detailed information. I''ll help you out to get started in your quest for information.

The GUIs are actually referred to as window managers. KDE and GNOME are NOT window managers rather desktop environments. KDE for example integrates tightly with the KDM window manager. Now with that information, there are dozens of window managers and each have their pro''s and con''s. In an effort to avoid a flame war, I''ll leave my input at this.

Here is a taste of window managers with screenshots.

YAP-YFIO,
deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

You can download the PS2 devtools (The devkit uses gcc, go figure..) from here.

You''ll probably need to find a PS2 emulator somewhere to use your binaries though.

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement