Advertisement

Is this price OK?

Started by November 02, 2007 01:13 AM
12 comments, last by miminawewe 16 years, 11 months ago
I got an estimate for the following PC specs. Is it worth $2,100? Do you know a cheaper place? I'm planning to import from Europe/US. ASUS P5GC-MXG45GL MOTHERBRD/INTEL CORE 2 DUOE6600 2.4 GHZ PROCESSOR/2GB DDR2 RAM/160GB SATA II HDISK/20X DVD R/RW/ 9IN1 CARD READER/RAEDEON X1050 256MB PCI-E VGA/INTEGRATED REALTEK ALC883 HIGH DEF SOUND/500WATT POWER SUPPLYATX CASING/ (RECOMMENDED) NOT SEE THROUGH Thanks.
Hey there, about a year ago I got a couple similar rigs, though instead of the ATI X1050(really?!?) I got a Geforce 8800 GTS, and those machines only cost me ~$1,900 each, tax and all, and I got a lot of extras in them.

You can purchase an ATI x1300 for about $69.99...maybe less. I'm having trouble finding low end cards to purchase (new) (for testing purposes), that is about the cheapest one I can find around here.

I got the computers I mention above at a local computer shop [ Intrex ], so I got the 4 year warranty, a special case w/extra fans, neon lights [speeds the computer up about 10% ;-)], a 1000W power supply, 500GB HDs, etc...for < $2,000 a year ago.

So I would say $2,100 is a very high price...almost rediculously high.

- Danny
Advertisement
52.99$ - ASUS P5GC-MX (R2.02) LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX
223.90$ - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
49.99$ - 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
49.99$ - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
29.99$ - Sony NEC Optiarc Black 20X
39.99$ - SIIG JU-91RW12-S4 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader/Write + Floppy
29.99$ - GECUBE HM1050P-D3 Radeon X1050 512MB(256MB on Board) 128-bit DDR
24.99$ - COOLMAX V-500 ATX 500W Power Supply
...and you get to choose the case.

Now, you haven't told us the most important thing ...is this a laptop?
Hey Dan,
It's good to hear from you. I hope your game is coming along fine. Can you please give me the contacts of the computer shop [Intrex]? If you know any other good computer shop also send me the contacts.
Gaenor: THANKS for the details. It's a PC.
Quote: Original post by miminawewe
Hey Dan,
It's good to hear from you. I hope your game is coming along fine. Can you please give me the contacts of the computer shop [Intrex]? If you know any other good computer shop also send me the contacts.
Gaenor: THANKS for the details. It's a PC.

Well Intrex is a totally local shop. I'm not sure if they would ship to you...but their site is here... [ http://www.intrex.com/ ] you can build computers online and save them for later, etc. Though I doubt they will be of use to you [ they are a local NC, USA shop], it was just a point of reference...maybe seek out some local computer shops if possible? Though I think the lack of said shops is your reason for importing.

Where did you get the price quote for the computer you listed?? For a PC/Desktop the price is extremely high as Gaenor pointed out...that computer should only cost you a few hundred bucks.
I'm leaving in about 30 minutes to check out some shops near my area. Most of the shops I trust are Dell/HP partners, the other shops mostly have cheap used stuff which might be a problem so importing seems to be the best option.
There's a guy I know who imports so I asked him for a price estimate and that's what he gave me. As far as I know computers aren't charged tax on importation so I was suspicious that the price was high.
I finished the game I was working on in January. It was more like a small demo. The graphics were low end but at least I learnt what I wanted to learn. It was my first ever game so it's quite an accomplishment. Check it out at www.sinc-studios.com
Thanks for your help. I'm going to check out other stores like Best Buy etc. I think they can ship them to me via Fedex or DHL.
Advertisement
Cool, good luck. Congrats on finishing your project also!

I'm still working on mine lol...BETA through Fileplanet/IGN/Gamespy coming up soon...it's a lot of pressure. I type this as I wait for the game to build...

Hopefully you can find a better price...do report back with your findings :-)
Looking at the price and the pieces it makes no sense... it should be WAYYY below $2100. More like $1100-$1300 not $2100 =S
I built a quad core 2 weeks ago for about 1050 with all around better specs and a TB of HD space. If you're buying pre-built the prices are going to be jacked up like that. Considered building your own?
I'm thinking of building my own. I think I need to research a bit on the net to get components that are compatible. Is there a website that has suggestions on which hardware combinations work best for gaming PCs and game development PCs? Mmmhh a short cut would be to see the specs of already built PCs and check out the components they have.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement