🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Services for UNIX and an IDE

Started by
3 comments, last by dillscon 16 years, 8 months ago
Here's my dilemna. I have Windows 2000 and a UNIX class. The class allows me to telnet to the school and use their compiler, which is command-line. Now I'm so spoiled on using IDEs and also I don't feel like switching back and forth between pico and the prompt. So I was planning to download Services for UNIX but it says nothing about how to compile programs or IDEs to do this from. I have VC6 and VC 2005. Will those be good enough? Should I use something else?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Uhh, you're probably going to use gcc. There are two general schools of thought; the first is to use vim (lol keymacro hax) and script your own compile/debug shortcuts to launch gcc and gdb. It's like the third step to Satori, you can't miss it. The other option is to write the code on windows, then remotely compile and debug it on your UNIX machine. You can probably write a custom build script for VS2005 which remotely compiles it (or cross compiles it using one of the gcc toolchains) and launches it through gdb on the target system. I had a similar system set up for writing and debugging NDS homebrew with a debugger; it's a bit of a nightmare to set up, but using VS for that kind of stuff is awesome in the long run.

Also, I am very very drunk right now.
Using vs would be quite difficult I guess. All that uploading ...

I'd prefere to install a linux with KDE (e.g. Kubuntu) and remote edit your files.
KDE is able to edit files "seemlessly" over the network (over ssh e.g.). This works only in KDE-Editors like kate,kwrite and some more I guess.
Just open "sftp://host.domain/home/yourhome/yourfile" and there you go

As Mushu said you could start using vim. But will be no fun the first few weeks.
Eh, I downloaded UWIN from AT&T and pointed Dev-C++ to the library files. Seems to be working ok.

I'll take more suggestions though.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

When I first started learning to program I wanted to program IRC Services. For over a year as I was learnign and editing code in services I either used pico, or used ftp to download and upload new code.

But yeah...if you can use an ide you'de be in much better shape.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement