Advertisement

[4E6] Discuss Element: Ponies

Started by September 27, 2007 11:31 AM
49 comments, last by Dark Adept 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by mindrot
1) ponIES - plural - do we need multiple?
No.

Quote: 2) pony - slang for amount of cash - its mentioned in the explaination, normally i try not to wiggle my way out of the element's spirit, but i had to ask
Sorry, that was be being all "witty banter." I suppose I'll let you get away with it if the entire game is cockney, but otherwise, no thank you.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Im sad to say that explosions is the element im going to have problems with in my game, not ponies. lol.
~Herio
Advertisement
*cough*
thanks super

herio-san,
id say thats sounds very promising
explosions are already everywhere
=P
Hi,
Reiner's tilesets has a horse...of course it looks like a pony to me. Click on animals link.

http://reinerstileset.4players.de/englisch.htm

I'm thinking of isometric so this would be very helpful to me.

Regards,
Chuck
Quote: Original post by Silvo
I would just like some clarification on this. Do you have to actually use the pony animal, or can you use alternative meanings? Also, can you have another object that you call a pony? Like a weapon, or vehicle, etc. If so, does the pony have to be the main type, or could I call my pistol a pony, the shotgun a stallion, and the chainsaw the brumby?

Just want clarification, that's all.

Just follow the spirit of the contest. They want to see ponies. They don't say explicitly that it has to be a small horse, but it's safe to assume that it's what they expect.

If you just take your standard shooter and rename the shotgun to be 'the pony', just how pony-like is that? On a scale of 1-10, you'll be at what, 1.00001, possibly.

What does it have to do with ponies? Why not call it a cow? Or a waffle? Or a chest drawer?
You can probably get away with making a non-horse pony of some sort, provided it's a proper part of the game, and it's clear to the player *why* it's called a pony. Others have already discussed making in-game vehicles called a PONY, which might pull it off. It's used for transportation, like a pony. It uses a pony as a logo, it's got some kind of connection. Done right, that might be ok.

But if you were asked to judge a contest with ponies in it and someone gave you an entry with a gun in it and said "that's a pony", how would you grade it?

Also, inspiration of the day:
Trojan Ponies! Possibly made of (exploding) crystal. With accountants inside them.

[Edited by - Spoonbender on October 10, 2007 6:21:00 PM]
Advertisement
Suppose you had a weapon that was SHAPED like a pony.

The bullets/plasma/whatever comes out of its head, you aim by pointing the head, and you tickle its belly to make it shoot.
If I would feature ponies in about 70% of levels with no pony in the others, would that be enough for "significiant presence"?
Check Superpig's journal for the official word.

If you gave your game to someone who didn't know about the contest, let them play it, and asked them afterwards, "were there ponies in the game", you're pretty much safe if they answer with a yes.

As far as I know, it doesn't generally matter how many levels an element appears on. You could probably get away with not representing it on any levels, if it was instead a vital part of the storyline, as shown in cutscenes or something else.

Or another way to look at it, I suppose:
If someone played your game, and you asked them to name 3 or 4 things that they thought the game was about, would "ponies" be among them? As long as you can be reasonably sure that most people would answer that correctly, it doesn't matter too much how many levels have/don't have ponies on them
Quote: Original post by Spoonbender
Also, inspiration of the day:
Trojan Ponies! Possibly made of (exploding) crystal. With accountants inside them.

[looksaround]

There's more than one connotation of "Trojan" (at least in this country)...

/me runs off and uses that one instead in his entry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement