🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

QT tutorials?

Started by
4 comments, last by dvogel 16 years, 9 months ago
First off I'm going to say this I'm new to Linux. I'm working with a group to create a Linux version of Tetris for the Openmoko Neo1973 phone for a professor at my University. The big drawback is that the group I'm working with, it's all our first time using Linux. After trying to convince him to allow us to use Allegro for the game, he insists that we use QT to make the game, as he's not sure allegro would work on the phone. From my research QT is more of a GUI tool and not necessarily a great game maker. Am I correct or have I just missed something? If I am wrong and it can be used for games, could point me in the direction of some good tutorials for making games using QT? Thanks.
TKE Super Dave
Advertisement
Yes, QT is just a GUI toolkit (which also forms the basis of KDE). From what I've seen the OpenMoku is pretty powerfull, so anything that works for making games on the desktop should work to make games on the Moko. Hardware 3D acceleration exempted. My personal favourite combination for small games on the desktop is Python + Glade (GTK) + Cairo/rsvg. I'm not sure if the OpenMoko can do Glade though. That's GTK technology. I don't know if the OpenMoko can do QT+GTK like the desktop can or if it only does QT.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Quote: Original post by Sander
Yes, QT is just a GUI toolkit (which also forms the basis of KDE). From what I've seen the OpenMoku is pretty powerfull, so anything that works for making games on the desktop should work to make games on the Moko. Hardware 3D acceleration exempted. My personal favourite combination for small games on the desktop is Python + Glade (GTK) + Cairo/rsvg. I'm not sure if the OpenMoko can do Glade though. That's GTK technology. I don't know if the OpenMoko can do QT+GTK like the desktop can or if it only does QT.

OpenMoko uses GTK natively, not Qt, so either choice should work.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Thanks for your input. We finally got a hello world application up and running so maybe we'll just write a simple allegro program to run on the phone to show him that allegro would work. The only reason we are pushing the allegro is becuase I've had some experience with it unlike QT which none of us know how to use.

I'm still looking for tutorials on QT just in case he still won't let use it or for some reason we can't get it working. We noticed in the designer there is a Tetris example called Tetrix, so we know it's possible to make the game and actually got to see all of the source code.
TKE Super Dave
Aren't the official tutorials and examples from the reference documentation enough? If so, they're also available offline, in the Qt Assistant tool.
Look into QGraphicsScene.

Regards,Drew Vogel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement