🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Suitability of web-games?

Started by
7 comments, last by superpig 16 years, 9 months ago
I wondered if people thought a web-based game (i.e Applet, Flash, Flex, Silverlight) could have a chance to win this contest? We see some pretty big, high-tech, content-filled entries so can a web-game compete with this? More generally, could a small (like something in the scope of Tetris or a bit bigger) but highly polished game win, or do only epic 100k-lines-of-source have a hope?
Advertisement
Quote: Every time it's posted
<Arbitrary question regarding "possibility">

Yes.
A Flash game finished in the top five in 4E4, so it's been shown to be a good choice. If I were to enter in the contest this year I'd strongly consider using Flash, assuming that Flash Player 9 was allowable (which I assume it will be).
One of the previous winners used Game Maker, I don't see why a good web-based entry couldn't do the same.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I have a related question. Can a true web-based game (as opposed to an 'applet running in browser' game) enter the contest at all? If the contest rules are anything like last year's:

Quote: From the previous rules, rule 22
If a game operates using a central server, the server software must be submitted to the judges so that they can ensure that it is not changed for the duration of the judging period. The server software must thus run on the same platform as given by the minimum specification.

Yet, the minimum specification does not include typical webservers such as IIS or Apache.
Yes by web-based I really meant a proper web game, not a game which is embedded in a web page. The whole server thing would be a problem.

Although if it was using ASP.NET, all that is needed is IIS which is part of some Windows installations.
I think what we may be able to do for games with central servers is something that uses VMWare - i.e. you build your server as a virtual machine and submit it to us for judging along with the client software. It's problematic for Windows-based servers but if you're building on Apache/Linux then it should work OK.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

For ASP.NET would you be able to set up a server directly - that seems an easier route if no 3rd-party server software is required?
Possibly. I'll need to think about it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement