Advertisement

Supercomputing on a Budget

Started by September 04, 2007 08:37 PM
4 comments, last by Lode 17 years ago
A 26.25 gigaflop supercomputer from scratch, for only $2,500. Fact or fiction? Find out for yourself!

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I'd just buy a PS3. I'm still not convinced about its merits as a gaming console, but as a supercomputer, it's pretty good value for the money.
Advertisement
If 4 duel core PC's connected over a GB LAN is a supercomputer, we got a huge one at work. I suppose the only interesting aspect of this is that he packed them all into a relatively small space.
I'm finding that I've got a bit of a supercomputer on my hands with this dual 8800GTX SLI configuration.

One algorithm that I ported to the GPU runs approximately 95x faster than on a single-core P4 2.4GHz with SSE2 optimizations. The two cards were about $1600 altogether.
You mean it's a cluster like:
MiniItx cluster
Humidor cluster
or
MsnTV2 Linux cluster

The only difference seems to be using a newer microAtx motherboard and thus supporting a choice of CPUs.

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Interesting application, but is it worth the name supercomputer? The best supercomputers in the world are at 100TFlops, which is 400 times faster :)

Any idea how much gflops a processor like an intel Core 2 Duo E6600 currently has? Googling this turned out to be difficult, CPU's aren't really measured in gflops...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement