🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ethernet DHCP problems in FC6

Started by
0 comments, last by Perost 17 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I've just installed FC6, but I've got a problem with my Ethernet card grabbing an IP from my University DHCP server, in my hall of residence. For some reason, when I boot the machine, it hangs on "Determining IP information for eth0", and comes up FAILED. The rest of the machine boots fine. ifconfig isn't yielding any useful information, and dhclient shows up as command not found. ethtool says it's got a connection, but my IP settings show up as the standard IP issued when DHCP calls fail i.e. 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. When I restart network service etc., it just spends ages looking for an address and then gives me the default fail. I tried configuring eth0 manually using my settings from Windows (which are assigned by DHCP), and it connects perfectly to the network and the Internet. It's some kind of DHCP issue, I'm guessing. Our IP addresses are static, we get the same one every time, but it must be grabbed from DHCP anyway as part of the system and the rules. I've used VectorLinux earlier this academic year without problems, Ubuntu and SimplyMEPIS worked last year. They update the system here each year, so things tend to change. My main problem is that our sysadmins actively monitor for anything that breaks the rules, anything at all, and it explicitly says that manually configured IPs and anything not obtained from their DHCP can be detected, and we'll get our network socket in our room disconnected thus meaning no Internet at all. It's a Realtek RTL8169/8110 with NDIS6.0. So, what can be done?
Advertisement
Since you say that it worked with other distros it sounds like a FC-specific problem. You might want to post at Fedoras own forum, since you'd probably get better help there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement