🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A question about cpp,gcc, and makefiles

Started by
2 comments, last by vallentin 17 years, 11 months ago
While I shamefully admit I do not know much about Unix style compilation, I have a question How do I organize a Makefile so that on 1 particular branch I get some C files preprocessed into a destination directory(d) without having to cope with # comments and -save-temps [Edited by - vallentin on August 8, 2006 1:18:18 AM]
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by vallentin
While I shamefully admit I do not know much about Unix style compilation, I have a question
How do I organize a Makefile so that on 1 particular branch I get some C files preprocessed into a destination directory(d) without having to cope with # comments and -save-temps

I am sure you might get some helpful answers if you could elaborate on what exactly you are trying to do (as well as WHY?).
While I am personally quite familiar with Makefiles, I am having issues understanding what it is that you are tying to achieve. So maybe you could provide some more details as well as possibly a short example?
Here's a simple make file that splits apart the preprocessing, compiling, and linking stages to their own rules for a file called "hello.c". Also, it uses grep to clean up (as it is now, it removes the preprocessor comments) the preprocessed source to output it as "hello.i_humanly_readable".
CC     := gccCFLAGS := -DHELLOLIBS   := all: hello hello.i_humanly_readablehello: hello.o	$(CC) -o hello hello.o $(CFLAGS) $(LIBS)hello.o: hello.i	$(CC) -o hello.o -c hello.i $(CFLAGS)hello.i_humanly_readable: hello.i	grep --invert-match '^#' hello.i > hello.i_humanly_readablehello.i: hello.c	$(CC) -o hello.i -E hello.c $(CFLAGS)
thank you for your answer.
My problem was that I used smth.like *.c constructs(I had way to many files to list them all).I used a djgpp makefile(it's a porting to win32 of gcc).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement