Advertisement

[4e5]Discuss: Emotion

Started by June 03, 2006 12:22 PM
102 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote: Original post by Srekel
So the emotion element has to be implemented as a game mechanic? That is, you're not allowed to make an adventure game which focuses heavily on telling a character-driven story? Like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, without the "sanity" bar or whatever they called it.

No, you can use it as a basis for your story if you want. Again, you need to be fairly up-front about it - it has to be fairly explicitly laid out in your plot - but it doesn't necessarily need to be a part of gameplay. People just seem to have been tending towards using it that way.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Just a quick query:
My present front-runner game idea (a sort of arcade board-game hybridy thing) incorporates emotions by using them as a kind of "power-up" to influence the game. Since I'll need a set of emotions I was thinking of using the Seven Deadly Sins, which has an effect roughly in line with what they represent (still have to work out the details).

Does this sound okay for satisfying the Emotion element? I'm also a bit unclear on whether the Deadly Sins qualify as emotions, but if anyone can suggest another well known set out there that would be useful too.
Advertisement
interesting:
http://1up.com/do/feature?cId=3151184
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Just a quick query:
My present front-runner game idea (a sort of arcade board-game hybridy thing) incorporates emotions by using them as a kind of "power-up" to influence the game. Since I'll need a set of emotions I was thinking of using the Seven Deadly Sins, which has an effect roughly in line with what they represent (still have to work out the details).

Does this sound okay for satisfying the Emotion element? I'm also a bit unclear on whether the Deadly Sins qualify as emotions, but if anyone can suggest another well known set out there that would be useful too.

Good enough for me.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by Michael Tanczos
">Emotion

---
Michael Tanczos

Holy shit...
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Quote: Original post by dbzprogrammer
Quote: Original post by Michael Tanczos
">Emotion

---
Michael Tanczos

Holy shit...

That's insane, i guess an Unreal Tournament clone would qualify!?
Advertisement
would a game with similar atmosphere to silent hill and condemned qualify for the emotion? i ask because those games were masters at creating suspense and tension in the player, which to me provides the emotional rollercoaster ride i enjoy in games.
Quote: Original post by supercat1
would a game with similar atmosphere to silent hill and condemned qualify for the emotion? i ask because those games were masters at creating suspense and tension in the player, which to me provides the emotional rollercoaster ride i enjoy in games.

Yes.

thank you.
do frustrating and inept controls count as an emotion?
instilling anger in the player surely qualifies...

oh and btw if you've ever played final fantasy 7
thats a great guide to emotion, just remember
the bit when (name withheld for spoiler reasons) died.
you know you i mean if you've ever played it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement