Advertisement

Favorite flavor of UNIX?

Started by April 09, 2006 05:58 PM
28 comments, last by chollida1 18 years, 3 months ago
What is everyone's favorite UNIX KERNEL? I'm not concerned about desktop, simply the kernel. Also, why? The things i'm most concerned about are speed, security, and reliability/stability. What I actually want to do is create my own desktop for a UNIX kernel, and i was wondering what the "best" kernel to use would be. cheers -Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Gonna have to go with BSD on that one...not any specific BSD, just the family as a whole.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
I'm going for Ubuntu's default kernel (a debian Linux derative). It has the best hardware support I could find, so I can use it pretty much anywhere (ofcourse, this also makes the kernel and it's modules quite big). Very handy for Live CD's or if you swap hardware often.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Promit: can you give me an idea as to why?

thanks
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Speed: Linux
Security: OpenBSD, though Linux ain't that bad
Stability: Instability seems to belong to the past :)

You might find this an interesting reading concerning performance
Cygwin. Cuz I'm too lazy to install anything else.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Quote: What I actually want to do is create my own desktop for a UNIX kernel, and i was wondering what the "best" kernel to use would be.

Linux, and to a lesser extent FreeBSD and Solaris, have the greatest support from commercial hardware vendors (at least of the open-source UNIXes). That's important if you want to attract users.

Could you elaborate on what you're referring to by "desktop"?
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Linux, broadest developer network of UNIX systems.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Well, to be perfectly honest i'm not even entirely sure i have the terminology correct. by desktop, i mean essentially, the windowing system, basically the visuals for the kernel

(is my terminology way off?)

cheers
-Dan
A *nix desktop is made up out of several layers. At the bottom is usually X.org, better known as X. It's a basic graphics interface. On top of that sits a widget set (Gtk or Qt or something else) that is responsible for all the widgets. On top of that you have a Window Manager (such as Metacity or Compriz) which is responsible for keeping track of all the windows. The actual desktop is built on top of that.

So, many many layers. Which one do you want to provide?

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement