Advertisement

FreeBSD on the second hard drive

Started by January 05, 2006 01:30 AM
1 comment, last by RolandofGilead 18 years, 9 months ago
I have a 60GB disk with Windows XP Home. I should be receiving a 250GB disk soon. I would like to install FreeBSD and create several FAT32 partitions on the new disk for swapping data between XP and Free. Who do I let have at it first, sysinstall or Windows fdisk/Disk Management Tools? How do I make sure I don't overwrite my Windows drive if I use sysinstall first? If I use xp tools first, is it alright to simply create all FAT32 partitions first, and then just let sysinstall overwrite one of them? In that case again how do I avoid overwriting my windows drive? Handbook says I need to install the boot manager to both drives, will that mess up my Windows installation? To be clear, when I said 'partition', I meant different lettered things(F:, G:, H:, etc.). Thanks.
If you have the ability to do it, perhaps put each OS entirely on its own drive. I think that will save you a lot of headache. But then I'm not an expert on the ins and outs so perhaps someone with more experience may have a differing view.
Advertisement
The new 250GB disk will be the slave.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement