Advertisement

cannot find -lGL

Started by December 13, 2005 07:34 PM
6 comments, last by gumpy 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I am a graphics programmer who has made the switch from ATi to nVidia due to Linux support (well performance too). My development platform is an amd64 & 7800GTX-512. When I try to compile even the simplest of glut apps, the compilation fails. However,I can run the 64 bit version of ut2004 just fine. So the driver must be in there ok. Any ideas what is throwing off the linker? /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL driver: 8174
Perhaps you don't have the opengl development libraries installed, only runtimes.

There is probably a dev package you need to install to get them - consult your distribution's documentation.

Mark
Advertisement
Try adding this to your link step, before -lGL

-L/usr/X11R6/lib

Feel free to change that path to whatever is valid for your system. (It's the lib directory under the directory where X is installed)
which linux distrubution and version are you using?
This space for rent.
I currently have this at the top of my makefile:

-L/usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib

Funny thing is, there are no files in there. I'm going to rip out my distro's package for the nvidia driver, and just try to use the driver from Nvidia's site.

I am using Gentoo 2005.1 (amd64).
Does it matter if I link to the Xorg GL library or the Nvidia one?
Advertisement
Use the nvidia one if available. The X one is for software rendering I think (i'm not sure).

Also there should be a libGL.so somewhere on your system. That file is probably a link to some libGL.so.1.0.xxxx or similiar. Make sure you include the directory where the libGL.so is in you link step with the command i posted earlier. If you don't have a libGL.so you can try reinstalling your graphics driver.
what about this?
This space for rent.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement