Advertisement

IPv6 Tunnel Sit0

Started by October 25, 2005 04:00 PM
4 comments, last by Halsafar 18 years, 11 months ago
Why is that listed as one of the network devices? IPv6 Tunnel Sit0 What is it?
You might want to try asking on a forum with more linux users, www.linuxquestions.org comes to mind.
Advertisement
I hate that place...
I used to post Linux questions there but they'd be eaten up by 1000+ posts and require constant bumps...

But yes that where I'm taking this...
Unfortunately, while there are some knowledgeable people here if you check who's online, there aren't many *nix / BSD users. When it comes to PC game dev, it's a Windows world out there.
I don't know if you got a reply yet, but as far as I know that tunnel is created by a kernel option under the IPv6 configuration. I think it is there simply because there is not widespread IPv6 network. The internet is still pretty much IPv4. In order to connect to IPv6 servers and the such on the internet you need to tunnel your IPv6 connection over an IPv4 to an IPv6 tunnel provider. sit0 is the default name for the tunnel.

As a side note a tunnel is basically a connection inside a connection. In this case a IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel is a "normal" IPv4 connection but the packets actually contain the IPv6 packet layer and up.

I can't say I'm an expert, but that is my understanding of it. Its pretty harmless as it requires you to actively setup the tunnel.
Hmmm, no that is a very good reply.
It had me wiki Ipv4 and read up on a few things.

Thanks for the info.
I haven't even checked my post in LinuxQuestions.org since by the time I posted it and checked a few min later it was already down 10 posts...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement