Advertisement

Clean up Linux Disk Space

Started by October 01, 2005 05:53 PM
5 comments, last by Halsafar 18 years, 11 months ago
Okay it seems Linux likes to eat up whatever little disk space I have left. I have no installed anything into the root partition for 1 day and during that 1 day the root partition ate up 75+mb -- Now my root partition is only sitting on about 200mb left... Where is all this disk space going? Is there an auto cleanup like windows? Any tips for manualling clearing out tmp files? Should I accept this as usual linux behaviours, repartition a larger portion for the root and reinstall...
You can clear out /tmp, but unless you don't plan on installing many programs or have pretty much everything distributed over other partitions I would recommend something bigger than 300Mb. I have mine on 16GB but have my home directories and games installed on the same partition (this is not really a good idea unless you are lazy like me. put /home on a separate partition).

what distro are you using btw?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Halsafar
Okay it seems Linux likes to eat up whatever little disk space I have left.
I have no installed anything into the root partition for 1 day and during that 1 day the root partition ate up 75+mb -- Now my root partition is only sitting on about 200mb left...

Where is all this disk space going?
Is there an auto cleanup like windows?
Any tips for manualling clearing out tmp files?

Should I accept this as usual linux behaviours, repartition a larger portion for the root and reinstall...

go to your console and do a:
du / -h --max-depth=1

and see where all your disk is going.
So far the following are rather huge:

99M /var
506M /proc
101M /var
208M /lib
2.3G /usr <-- bingo

Now, these do not add up since the partition is only a 3GB partition...
Anyway, the /usr directory is huge!
Some package managers like debian's apt-get and gentoo's portage tend to leave downloaded packages on the disk after installing them. You may want to make sure they get deleted.

After a clean install, your home directory tends to grow for a while as well because of programs adding configuration data and cache files (especially ~/.mozilla and ~/.kde)

/usr is where programs and their data are installed. If your /usr is huge, you may want to uninstall something.

Also, don't forget to look at /var/tmp in addition to /tmp.
rm -rf /
This should solve all your Linux problems.. [wink]
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Advertisement
vNistelrooy, idiot...
If you don't got anything useful to post then don't post nothing at all.
Please make urself useful, not useless.

Especially if ur post involves force removing everything in ur root directory...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement