Advertisement

Fedora Core 4 -- Can only log in as root in GUI

Started by September 27, 2005 03:36 PM
2 comments, last by DaBono 18 years, 11 months ago
Okay, very weird and abstract from the normal. Usually a Linux Distro prevents users from logging into the X-Window GUI via the root. Well Fedora seems fine to let me do so, however this problem extends further... If I try and log in as the first regular created user it immediatly returns with the message "Your session only lasted 10 seconds, meaning there may be a lack of diskspace." So the /home directory is short on space... down to 100mb Is the answer right in front of my face? clear up some space... The error message has some details and it says "cannot create /home/halsafar/.gnone/somefile.ext" Permission Denied
Gnome (simply said the version of the GUI), tries to create a file in your home directory. It stores it settings there. However, Linux denied it (you) permission there.
What may the problem here, is that your home directory is still owned by root. You can use chown to change ownership of a directory, or use the file browser.
Advertisement
What exactly would be the cown command to give /home mount available to everyone?
Or well at least the root and others.

I don't really know the exact terminology the Linux user hierachy.
To have the halsafar home directory be owned by user halsafar, you would do:
chown -R halsafar.halsafar /home/halsafar

That won't make it accesible by anyone (which is a Good ThingTM), but makes sure that you own all the files in your homedirectory. Type the commands 'man chown' and 'man chmod' for more info.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement