🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

svgalib question

Started by
7 comments, last by halfwolf 23 years, 2 months ago
Hey ! I have a program that draws pcx files on the screen (With svgalib -> svgalib.org).I want to make a color transparent.Is this possible ? Are there any tutorials/examples for this ? Edited by - halfwolf on 12/10/00 12:42:23 PM
Advertisement
can you send me the code of your program?
or a tutorial?
I am going to do a game, so I need load a sprite from a pcx with svgalib.

lucasa@ieg.com.br

thanks.

Lucas Alberto Souza Santos
Lucas Alberto Souza Santos
DO NOT USE SVGALIB. It''s unsafe, unstable and dead as far as libraries go. It''s an exploit waiting to happen. Use the FrameBuffer or *anything* else.
Right. Use SDL (www.libsdl.org).

cu,
Prefect

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
svgalib is unsafe and usntable? how so?

not trying to pick a fight, but I use a couple svgalib progs, I want to know if and how svgalib is compromising my system. I don''t think its unstable.. no crashes on any of my linux systems.

saai
Just as anything else svgalib is a security risk when used improperly. The thing on my mind is that svgalib programs must be run suid/sgid root - although when you call vga_init() it changes the uid/gid to that of non-root, and thus eleminating a vast security hole. Therefore you should always call vga_init() right after you open the main function.
I''m sure there are plenty of other security holes in there but that''s the only one I know of

"This album was written, recorded and edited at Gröndal, Stockholm in the year of 2000. At this point in time money still ruled the world. Capitalistic thoughts were wide spread. From the sky filled with the fumes of a billionarie''s cigar to the deepest abyss drenched in nuclear waste. A rich kid was a happy kid, oh..dirty, filthy times. Let this be a reminder."
- Fireside, taken from back of the Elite album
I have.. to date.. seen a ton of svgalib programs. Without going into detail.. I have a 100% record of ending up rooting the box with the program set suid/guid root. 100%. It''s unsafe to use svgalib. I would recommend using sdl and allowing users to compile for whatever target they want.. but I''d stick with X11 myself.. or mebbe framebuffer.

Magnwa
I''ve heard the new version of svgalib does not require root privileges to run.

GamesToGO: The Console Gamer''s Paradise
The only way it cannot require root is to use the framebuffer device, which is often worse than using X11. The graphics are scaled down and back immensely. SvgaLib is dated and insecure. I''ve been using and programming in Linux for five years now. Trust me on this one .

Magnwa

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement