Advertisement

Linux game programming, how do you start?

Started by November 29, 2000 05:45 PM
4 comments, last by Piksel 23 years, 10 months ago
I wanna program simple 2d games in linux. So I wanna be doing some type of X-windows programming, is there any equivalent to Direct-X in linux? Or does OpenGL support 2d graphics? I want to make a simple game similiar to asteroids, so what do you recommend I look into? I don''t need any multi-user stuff in the game (so no playing it over a LAN or the internet is necessary), I just need a simple library of some sort that supports things like plotting pixels and blitting bitmaps or something, sound and keyboard support is also great. I would like to program this in C or C++, and I do have a basic knowledge of Linux. Thanks for the help.
I don''t know much about linux programming, but I know you can do 2d with opengl, wiht a little work.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Advertisement
OpenGL can handle 2D graphics quite well, just ortho'' the
current model view.

You''ll need to know a bit about glx and X to get OpenGL
to work with Xlib.

If you don''t want to do that you can avoid X and glx all
togeather by using glut (but this may be too slow for games
in some cases).
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
*ahem* Allegro *cough*

==================
/* todo: insert cool sig */
Martee
Magnum Games.NET
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
ClanLib is a good wrapper that handles 2d pretty well. www.clanlib.org
DirectX for Linux? I have to say it: SDL. www.libsdl.org. It''s most certainly not the only one around. Clanlib and Allegro are both decent, but as i haven''t used either really, i can''t really say much more about them. I will say that SDL is very complete, and there is plenty of documentation for it. Best of all, it uses native acceleration properties of the OS, and it supports OpenGL. I reccomend it highly.

-benc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement