Advertisement

Problem with the sound and the tangenboard

Started by June 20, 2005 10:26 AM
4 comments, last by 255 19 years, 2 months ago
I have compiled a new kernel (2.6.11.12) and of course it became problems T_T; The first problem was that the audio channel can only play sound from one audio source. It can't play sound from some games like tux-racer, zsnes, vba. What to do? For the second problem: My keyboard during games like tux-racer and gta sa don't answer the way it should be, the right arrow don't answer, I tried to change the keyboard to an another but it was the same. Someone that has a answer of this question?
What sound card are you using? Do you use alsa or OSS? Are the driver modules loaded? Is a sound daemon such as arts or esd running? Is there anything suspicious in dmesg?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by 255
What sound card are you using? Do you use alsa or OSS? Are the driver modules loaded? Is a sound daemon such as arts or esd running? Is there anything suspicious in dmesg?

I have a VIA soundcard, I have compiled it in the kernel, I use OSS and ALSA, In menuconfig, I set the open sound system as in compiled, I have set the kernel to point on my chipset (where the sound also is) sound daemon ? dmesg?
sound daemons (or sound servers) are programs that run in the background and forward data to the sound drivers. KDE has arts and other DE's sometimes use esd. If either of these is running, try disabling it.

dmesg is a command that prints the kernel log. You can forward it to a file using the command dmesg > somefile . You might want to post it here if there's something you don't understand but think is important in it. You should also familiarize yourself with the commands modprobe, rmmod and lsmod.

You can't use both OSS and Alsa at the same time. If you want to use Alsa you should disable OSS and enable Alsa's OSS emulation modules instead. IIRC OSS was even marked as deprecated in menuconfig.
Quote: Original post by 255
sound daemons (or sound servers) are programs that run in the background and forward data to the sound drivers. KDE has arts and other DE's sometimes use esd. If either of these is running, try disabling it.

dmesg is a command that prints the kernel log. You can forward it to a file using the command dmesg > somefile . You might want to post it here if there's something you don't understand but think is important in it. You should also familiarize yourself with the commands modprobe, rmmod and lsmod.

You can't use both OSS and Alsa at the same time. If you want to use Alsa you should disable OSS and enable Alsa's OSS emulation modules instead. IIRC OSS was even marked as deprecated in menuconfig.

Ok, I installed libsdl1.2debian-all and then the sound worked but not when I have xmms on and so on the sound doesn't work on other programs =/. The sound daemons arts and esd are installed but not used. I'm going to check the dmesg now, I ask if I need help...
I have (if it is for help) OSS as output and OSS as input, should I change it?
By the way, can you post where in menuconfig the IIRC OSS is?
IIRC="If I Remember Correctly" :)
See if using Alsa as the backend for xmms works better. If it does then there is probably some problem with the OSS emulation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement