Advertisement

Advice for beginner artist

Started by November 18, 2000 09:49 PM
13 comments, last by Gregor_Samsa 23 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I''ve been learning to program for a little while, but I''ve always wanted to be an artist as well. I''ve decided to start by learning how to draw. Do you have any advice that could help me out? I really don''t know where to begin. Do you know of any good internet sites for learning this? I reallize that art isn''t like programming in that you can''t just read a tutorial on it and be able to do it, but, like I said, I don''t know where to start. I need some guidance. Whatever advice you can give would be most appreciated. E-mail:chaos1111@hotamil.com ICQ:22527985
"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out ofthe corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child hasgrown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
Well, you can''t go wrong by getting a sketch pad, a fine mechanical pencil with a good, small-diameter eraser, a pad of tracing paper, and a good ruler.

It really depends on what you want to draw. Buildings? Flowers? People? (the hardest possible place to start) Landscapes? Robots? Animals? Or do you just generally want to become a good artist? How much, if any, art training have you had in school?

For any of these, it''s good to collect pictures of what you want to draw. Start looking for the basic shapes that things are made out of. Probably the best thing to do would be to find a person you know in real life who can draw and tell you what you''re doing wrong, and give you tips, but that may not be possible... It never hurts to hit the library.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
I really didn''t have anything in mind to start with. I just wanted to become better at drawing overall. It would be nice to be able to express my game ideas in drawings. I haven''t had hardly any art training in school (elementary, but it doesn''t really count).

Thanx for the advice though. I''ll start looking around and practicing. Right now I''m basically just trying to copy things

"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out ofthe corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child hasgrown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
Yep, copying things is the best way... don''t trace them mind you, just copy.... Hire out drawing books from your local library and go from there. But yes, you do need some sort of talent to get started.... Don''t attempt more advanced stuff like human figures and cars, try cartoon characters for instance, where exact acuracy isn''t as big an issue. Remember, DRAW WHAT YOU SEE, not what you think is there...
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981
Get some books about learning the trade. Study how things look i.e. texture! It would also be a good idea to study the work of great artists. You will be progressing rapidly just by doing these thing.

Short and too the point!!
>Well, you can''t go wrong by getting a sketch pad, a fine >mechanical pencil with a good, small-diameter eraser, a pad of >tracing paper, and a good ruler.

If you take any art class, the first thing they will tell you is that you can''t do art with a mechanical pencil. I am very supprised to see someone tell you to use one.
Advertisement
The kind of equipment you use depends on what kind of art you're doing. If you're going to end up in ink, you can use whatever pencils you want. I would have to say get some wooden pencils and some 0.5 and 0.7 mechanicals and try them out with different lead densities, see which ones you like. The ruler is a valuable tool, also. Try practicing by drawing things you see in everyday life. Analyze the basic shape and structure of things. Look how people hold themselves, how flowers grow to the light, how buildings appear from different viewpoints.

There are many ways to get to the same drawing, and many people have spent the last few centuries refining art processes and methods. Try searching the internet for art tutorials on all sorts of things.

I must say that what has inspired me to draw recently is the website polykarbon.com which is a comic style site, but it has some of the best how-to examples I've seen.

I wish you luck and skill in learning to draw. It will give you a new perspective on the beauty that's all around us.

anthalaris.8k.com

Edited by - Assassin on November 19, 2000 6:57:18 PM
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
If you''re going to start by copying existing images, it''s useful to start w/ black and white rather than color. the color can be distacting.

The first exercise we did in my freshman drawing class was to go buy 2 or 3 magazines that had B+W pictures, cut a few out and make a collage, then draw the collage.
I agree to get some b&w pictures that interest you.
Use your ruler and a pen to make a grid on the pictures with 1" squares.
On your paper, very lightly make the same grid and try to draw the picture grid by grid. This will aid you in getting proportions correct.
You can also make the grid on your paper with larger or smaller squares to help you to scale your drawing.
Well, I know it helped me a lot when I was learning
Good luck!
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

>Well, you can't go wrong by getting a sketch pad, a fine >mechanical pencil with a good, small-diameter eraser, a pad of >tracing paper, and a good ruler.

If you take any art class, the first thing they will tell you is that you can't do art with a mechanical pencil. I am very supprised to see someone tell you to use one.

Hmm, that's puzzling. I've taken several art classes and never been told not to use a mechanical pencil. I like them because they draw finer than regular pencils. Why is it supposed to be worse than a regular pencil?

Edited by - sunandshadow on November 19, 2000 8:57:06 PM

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement