Advertisement

nVidia Geforce256 and running Linux?

Started by November 08, 2000 02:47 PM
2 comments, last by ReDReaPeR 23 years, 10 months ago
well ... i tried to install debian2.2 but i''ve got a problem with my new graphicscard ... i''ve got an elsa erazor x with sdr ram ... i can''t get running X with the svga server ... it works only with vga16 ... now i heard that''s a problem with the nVidia cards ... maybe anybody does know something more on this or how to get it solved? yes, i''m still a linux newbie ... but i wanted to get it started because i''m sick of M$ well ... thanks for all
Im not sure what version of the X server is included with debian 2.2, but support for the GeForce was not added until version 3.3.6 of the X Server. To get your card working download and install the latest X Server.

goto www.xfree86.org to d/l it. latest version is 4.0.1

G Coates
-------------------------------------------

Green ribbon campain, for freedom of innovation
Windows: The only virus with a GUI!

Edited by - gavco98 on November 9, 2000 3:11:16 PM
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Advertisement
well ... i don''t know exactly what version i have ... but in the menu there''s the geforce-generic driver already integrated ... so i think it''s 3.3.6 or above ...

Hi,

I don''t know if this is the case with XFree86 versions prior to version 4, but XFree86 puts a log into /var/log/ with a name that begins with an X (`XFree86.0.log'' or something like that.)
However, you definitely want XFree86 4.0.1, because NVIDIA made a full OpenGL driver only for XFree86 4 and above.

Kind regards,
Daniel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement