Advertisement

Going pure Linux, please help!

Started by March 12, 2005 05:13 PM
21 comments, last by Brandon N 19 years, 6 months ago
SUSE 9.2 is really awesome. With the minimum graphical install you will be running pure X11. I highly recommend it.
Well I have SuSE 9.1 and I don't want to download and enabluate a Linex I want the real thing. I am going to study and try to install Gentoo one last time. If it doesn't work I will try the SuSE I have and go with a minimal as I can. IF something doesn't work, I'll just try again. And I'll keep trying until I get it wo work. I have several computers in the house that are on the internet, mine however will be the only Linux box. I'm downloading gentoo-x86-minimal-2004.3 iso and I will burn it and try Gentoo one last time!

I want to go pure Linux, the only reason I can't is because I have software and games that are run Windows. But what I'll do is do the dual-boot again and give XP a small 10GB and Linux the rest of the HD (30GB because I only have a 40GB HD).

I'm starting to get more into Linux and careless for MS. My teacher told me this would happen. I love to program and have total control over everything my computer does; with Linux I can. So until I buy the Linux versions of the games and software I have, I'll keep Windows. Once I get the Linux versions of my stuff I'' go pure Linux and get rid of my MS stuff because I will have no need for it.

So of you may think this is stupid nut hey, it's not you computer so it's not your choice!
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Advertisement
sakky, I understand what you're trying to do because I felt like that myself. However, linux does not work like that and that is something you need to understand. What linux has is the kernel and then bunch of small programs that interopperate together in various ways and there are a LOT of them. Every distro will have these on the disk and will install them for you. Doing "linux from scratch" takes too long and it's basically a linux administrator's job not something for endusers or app programmers to tackle. I recommend you download ubuntu 4.10 and use that because that is the OS I would choose if I ever wanted to dump windows and go linux full time. The next ubuntu version due in april I feel will be the must have linux distro for windows users who want to switch to linux. Don't forget one thing: you will most likely need normal linux distro anyways for some of 3rd party applications you might need to run on linux. I'm saying that if you build linux from scratch and get a bare system going you will eventually want to upgrade it to gui environment and then it's just better to get a gui linux distro to save on time and frustration. After all, I wouldn't want to work in DOS nor build my own windows os. I had a bare debian install for a while but replaced it with ubuntu because I got tired of linux command line and limited programs. I soon wanted to listen to music, watch movies, get on internet, etc. and then I needed a gui desktop.
Well no needfor that because I tried Gentoo again and (as usual) it failed! I am really not that good at doing things from scratch when I don't understand what is going on underneath the hood.

So I reinstalled SUSE and tried the YOU one last time. To my supprise it worked! So I first installed a minimal windows system (without KDE). That went well for about 20 minutes because I couldn't use Mozilla. I also had problems getting other application to work. I wouldn't mind giving X a nice face lift to make it more like KDE, because I like KDE.

My main problem is that I don't like a lot of little programs all over the place. I just don't understand why someone couldn't have intergrated a lot of these into a system library or user library. But, if it's what Linux needs then it's what Linux gets.

So now I'm the proud owner of a complete SUSE 9.1 Professional - Linux Box! I'll dick with Windows some other time. For now it's pure Linux for a while. The kids think that bouncing cow screensaver is funny; I do too! I have no problem surfing the net now and I have all the Linux APIs I need, so I'm set. All I can do now is just enjoy myself.

I bet lots of you are glad all that is over with!?

heh, this is kind of funny, you want a linux without all the bloat and then you pick suse.=)
Vector Linux 4.3 -- Fast, efficient, graphical linux without the bloat.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by sakky
Well no needfor that because I tried Gentoo again and (as usual) it failed!

I have a hard time seeing how anyone could fail to install gentoo, it comes with a step by step manual, it should be impossible to fail. You weren't skipping any step's you figured looked pointless or anything were you?
Or is it not the install that fails but you internet connection? You know, it may not work out of the box, maybe the kernel dosn't have a module for you network card or something, then you need to load that first.
Shields up! Rrrrred alert!
No actually, Gentoo downloaded fine. I used links2 to download the stage3 tarball. Everything was going smoothly until after I chrooted into the environment. I used env-update and it failed because of a syntax error. I tried looking through it and couldn't find what it was complaining about.

But last time I tried installing Gentoo the OS wouldn't even load. I kept getting an error saying "Failed to load OS!". So I just gave up because I really don't know that much about Linux, let alone screwing around with any of that stuff. But I figured I would just study and learn but that didn't work either.

I didn't skip any steps except the download-stage-tarball-from-CD because I was using the Gentoo LiveCD. I'm pretty sure Gentoo is a really good OS because of the looks and power it had. I have had no luck getting any other Linux to autodetect my DSL connection through the HUB. SUSE did it because I think it used the settings left behind from Gentoo.

So what I figured I would do for now is work with what I have. I'm being a little unrealistic about things. I really don't even know that much about Linux, so in blue hell could I actually do it all from scratch as I was insisting. So I will play around for a while making mods for silly little things and writing my own utilities until I get very comfortable with Linux as I am with Windows.

-side note
This NVIDIA driver is badass! I'm having lots of fun with the graphics I get from it. I love the OpenGL screensavers. Now that I have advanced in programming so much, I could probably write some really cool ones my self.
Oh this is badass! I just made me an application using KDevelop. Man that thing is loaded more then VS.NET! This seams to be working out much more better then I though.
Wanting to run "pure X" is somewhat like wanting to run "pure GDI" on Windows...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement