Advertisement

Going pure Linux, please help!

Started by March 12, 2005 05:13 PM
21 comments, last by Brandon N 19 years, 6 months ago
What's with all the extra files that come with a project when I create one? IS there anyway to disable this? I can't find an option in the app wizard.

I see that I have to use these template header and source files, why? I would just rather be a few project files and the source code to the project, can I not have that in KDevelop? I can see where I would need to have a resource for a GUI app but what's with all the install, TODO and other junk files that I know nothing about?

It KDevelop the best IDE for KDE? It seams pretty packed and I was just wondering. I've seen some replies in a different thread but I haven't checked out those IDEs yet.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
If you really want to do development using kdelibs etc., it's probably hard to beat the default project template of KDevelop: It has all the necessary build system quirks set up, it's integrated with the UI Designer, and so on. All the "junk" comes from autotools, which is (unfortunately) the most widely-spread build-system. Most of the junk deals with portability issues, figuring out what compiler version and other tools are installed, etc. If you want to do GUI development, it's easier to just put up with it.

If you don't like the autotools for non-GUI apps, you could try a CMake-based project, or a project with a custom build system (you can set those up using the Import Existing Project option).

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by sakky
Oh this is badass! I just made me an application using KDevelop. Man that thing is loaded more then VS.NET!
*chokes on tea*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement