Advertisement

SuSE

Started by February 11, 2005 04:00 PM
24 comments, last by sakky 19 years, 7 months ago
I finally found a Linux for me. I just installed SuSE Pro 9.1! I have it duel boot with XP Pro. I didn't think to highly of Slackware. But, after I bought the SuSE Linux 9 Bible and read on SuSE history (very interesting I might add) I like SuSE even more now. I'm having problems connecting to my DSL. The DSL isn't in my name its in my fathers, but I use the service through a hub. Also, my sound isn't working. I've got all these things to work before I just forgot how. But now that I have the bible to SuSE I can probably find out by reading a little further. I installed almost all the packages. I couldn't wait until YaST was done so I could fool around with KDE and Gnome. I can't figure out which one I like most, but I'm betting it would be Gnome because Gnome seems more Professional to me then KDE. and KDE seems more fun and games. But both look nice and I love em' both. I got Python packages installed to and also Qt 3. I remember seeing a book on Qt in Hastings. Is Qt any good? As you can see, I've got lots to look forward too. I can't wait to start making games and stuff for Linux. Now that I dual boot Microsoft and Linux installations, I can attempt to make platform independent code and be able to test it. One cool thing is that SuSE sees the Windows installation and I can actually navigate that partition, but I can delete anything. That sucks because I could eliminate some of those pesky index files and other stuff MS puts on Windows that record you use of the OS. All in due time, all in due time. I'm glad I finally have a version of SuSE I can call my own. I was going to buy it in it's boxed form, but the Hastings where I live stopped caring it. The only Linux I need to get now is Turbo Linux and Lycoris. Then I will have all the Linuxs I want.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
For some reason I still can't get SuSE to go on the internet! I'm running on DSL, but the connection isn't mine its my fathers. But I can use the connection with WindowSXP so I don't see what the probelm is with Linux. If Windows can do it so can Linux right? Do I have to use my fathers user name and password to use the DSL? I don't see why I have to do that because I don't have to do that with Windows, it just uses it. There has to be a way for SuSE to just use the DSL connection that I have. Can one of you help me please?!
Advertisement
external dsl modem or internal?

If external,

ethernet connection or USB? for ethernet, you've got an ethernet card in your system, use it normally.

for usb or internal, you'll probably have to configure something called PPPoE. I've never done this, sorry.
Quote: Original post by sakky
I installed almost all the packages. I couldn't wait until YaST was done so I could fool around with KDE and Gnome. I can't figure out which one I like most, but I'm betting it would be Gnome because Gnome seems more Professional to me then KDE. and KDE seems more fun and games. But both look nice and I love em' both.

It's entirely a matter of taste. I prefer Gnome, myself.
Quote:
I got Python packages installed to and also Qt 3. I remember seeing a book on Qt in Hastings. Is Qt any good? As you can see, I've got lots to look forward too. I can't wait to start making games and stuff for Linux. Now that I dual boot Microsoft and Linux installations, I can attempt to make platform independent code and be able to test it.

QT is the GUI library used by KDE—the Gnome equivalent is GTK+.
Quote:
One cool thing is that SuSE sees the Windows installation and I can actually navigate that partition, but I can delete anything. That sucks because I could eliminate some of those pesky index files and other stuff MS puts on Windows that record you use of the OS. All in due time, all in due time.

Any Linux system with FAT/NTFS support compiled into the kernel can do this. I presume the "Windows installation" you refer to is an NTFS partition, as FAT32 write support works just fine—the present Linux NTFS drivers have excellent read support, but write support is dodgy and disabled by default.
If you are sharing your internet connection using MS Internet connection sharing, see what's the ip your parent's computer is using for the internal lan and set your linux network to that ip. It used to be 10.0.0.1-255 (netmask 255.255.255.0) if I remember right.

I think MS Internet connection sharing works like a DHCP server. I don't know how to doit in suse, look around some configuration option to specify you connect to internet throug a DHCP server.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
My DSL modem is an external Actionttec modem. The DSL is through Qwest with MSN as provider. I've been using PPP over Ethernet and I'm not getting anything. I've changes the dynamic IP to static and typed my IP in and I still got nothing. So maybe something is wrong? Hmm... I'l log of windows and give SuSE another try and report back the results. See ya in a minute....
Advertisement
Well, I don't know what the heck happened but its working now because I'm in here. I changes the DSL to PPPoE and I had to enter my fathers username and password to get the connection running. Why did I have to do this? I never had to with Windows. Maybe it's some sort of settings some where that I need to turn of to get SuSE to just use the connection. My computer is hooked up into a hub alon with three others. The Widnows installation works fine but the Linux installation has a few problems. I remember dealing with this before.

I wish I didn't have to go through so much problems just to set things up. Well now I need to do the updates and get the NVIDIA driver installed. I'm tired of looking at a small screen with crapy depth because Linuz doesn't think my hardware can handle it...
okay, I can't get Online Update to work. It searches for mirror servers and fails. I couldn't get my NVIDIA driver to install either. SaX2 kicked out on startup. I don't know what the problem is but I REALLY REALLY hope on of you may have answers for me. If you need any more information about my system just ask. Please help me with this.
Quote: Original post by sakky
Well, I don't know what the heck happened but its working now because I'm in here. I changes the DSL to PPPoE and I had to enter my fathers username and password to get the connection running. Why did I have to do this? I never had to with Windows.
You probably did, and it already has it saved someplace on the computer.
Yeah, but how do I get the Online Update (YaST) to work? When I run it, it stalls for a long time and then pops up with an error message box saying it can't find the mirror servers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement