Advertisement

Release for Linux, or why I don't like GPL zealots

Started by January 04, 2005 10:20 PM
225 comments, last by Yann L 19 years, 6 months ago
would i be able to cross compile gui apps!!! (wxwindows + mingw?)
If you are not going to work on it actively then I would switch to open source model and have the community take over. I would like to see wxWidgets or glade to be integrated into the IDE like vc6 does with MFC by using wizards and autofilling in code. I would like to make both tools and games in one IDE than use various other tools and constantly checking version numbers for dependancies. I need something integrated to take that work off my hands and save me time. I don't understand what's so kinky about emacs and other non-gui tools. I thought we have grown up a bit since the 80's. I think it will take one generation of linux devs to die off before we can finally move on to 90's and beyond. Sad really.
Advertisement
yes, and these zealots usually have NEVER coded anything complicated or simply stable, most of them can't even compile things that don't compile straightforwardly (that is, can not fix minor incompatibility in sources). All the time they ask to make anything made for Linux be open-source.

I would use closed-source free IDE for Linux.
Quote: Original post by Dmytry

I would use closed-source free IDE for Linux.

Me too, i am a believer in open source but will pretty much use the best piece of software for the job at hand. If you IDE is closed source and better than KDevelop then i'll use it for sure. Shock horror, i might be even be coersed (damn can't spell) into paying for it!!!
Quote: Original post by Raduprv
On a Linux games site that I won't name or link here, many people were bitching about how totally innaceptable is that the NWN (Neverwinter Nights) Linux version doesn't have a movie viewer.

Now, that part I can understand. NWN uses Bink videos for which RAD offers the appropriate libraries for a whole bunch of platforms, including Linux/x86. Judging by this, a Neverwinter client without video support is kind of sad. Imagine some really great game was ported from platform Foo to Windows and would lose cutscene videos -- no matter how important they were for the storyline -- along the way. You'd hear the bitching all the way to Pluto.

As for the topic at hand: Of course, most Linux users will have a certain inclination towards using opensource software, and everywhere there's only the slightest inclination towards anything, there'll be zealous nutcases like Stallman. The trick is not let yourself be fooled by their empty yapping. If you're getting feedback, ignore the nuts. Just strike them from the statistics. The same goes for Emacs nuts. The only complaint from Yann's original post I can understand is the one about missing autotools support. Autotools are a great thing that has quite some thought gone into it to allow adaption to a wide variety of platform quirks.

And yes, I'd like to try that IDE too.
So let me recap:

- a Linux user tries to convince a Windows user to switch to Linux : the Linux user is a zealot ;
- a proprietary programmer tries to convince a bunch of free software programmers to switch to his tool : the free software programmers are zealots.

Yes, I'm generalizing, but I still think this is becoming as trendy as Microsoft bashing (read: "much more trendy").

Sorry for not contributing to the topic, but seeing how potentially explosive it is, and that I'm posting anonymously...

Hope this helps.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
So let me recap:

- a Linux user tries to convince a Windows user to switch to Linux : the Linux user is a zealot ;
- a proprietary programmer tries to convince a bunch of free software programmers to switch to his tool : the free software programmers are zealots.

It all depends on the amount of zeal. If a Linux user walks up to a Windows user, sees that said Windows user is doing nothing but writing letters and playing solitaire and has the Windows user try Linux for a while, that's all right. What's not all right is walking up to a Windows user, hitting him/her over the head and dragging him/her to a Linux box without knowing what programs are needed or what other potential pitfalls there are.

In the same way, it is bad to bash a closed source developer just for developing closed source. Of course, there might be a gain for the community if the programmer can be "converted" or at least talked into contributing something to an existing project, but it is definitely wrong to do reasoning in the style of "Me no like M$ Windowse. Windowse is teh closed soorce. Therefore, closed soorce is teh devihl!!!1", which I fear we will see much more frequently in the future.
People have every right to say "I don't want non-free/non-GPL software". You might not agree with them, but you can't reasonably expect them to change their mind because of your new IDE.

If your program isn't working on the system of an exotic unix user what do you expect him to answer? Is it his fault that it is not working?

Why did you expect good feedback from these Linux groups? Do they have any serious developers? Perhaps they have spend lots of hours understanding and customizing the usual GNU tools and have no interest in switching to another IDE because the tools already do what they want them to do.
Your target audience is windows developers wanting to port stuff to linux, not linux user groups, ask them and you will propably get more helpful feedback.
I am a Linux user and I use a significant amount of non-GPL (indeed, non-free) software.

Firstly, I have an Nvidia video card. That means there is no open source / free driver which is of a decent quality and gives me hardware acceleration.

I also like to play Chronic Logic's Gish and Pontifex II :)

So yes - it's great only using Free / GPL software if
- You don't like to have a decent graphics driver
- You don't like CL's games (of course the decent graphics driver is a prerequisite for them)

etc

As far as I'm aware, there are no open source hardware accelerated graphics drivers of reasonable quality - Nvidia cannot open-source their drivers because they contain components which are incompatible with having their source code released (i.e. SGI's bits)

I have no problem with closed-source IDEs, indeed I used to use Borland's Jbuilder.

Mark
Quote: Original post by Yann L
There are some tools available, but they are either based on old and obsolete Linux concepts such as auto tools (KDevelop, Anjuta)

Last time I looked at Anjuta (three months ago) the damned thing didn't even let me arrange my files the way I wanted to. I don't know how anyone could attempt using it for even remotely serious projects. I had many gripes with KDevelop as well, can't recall what they were exactly because it has been quite some time since I tried it.
incredible bloat (Eclipse).

I work with Eclipse framework (the stuff Eclipse IDE is built on that allows people to create non-IDE products) professionally now. What a bloated piece of shit. People don't realize how bloated the damned thing is until they look at the framework. It looks like its been designed by college freshmen influenced by their first course in software design (three classes with ten methods each, used to do something incredibly simple like calculating a factorial). It's one of those be-all end-all frameworks that sound great in theory but are a complete piece of crap in practice.
Oh well. I'm going to post a couple of screenshots tomorrow, and an updated alpha version for the weekend, so everybody can test it. I guess testing it with a smaller, yet technically competent crowd is probably better anyway.

I think any programming related community would kill to test a new unix IDE. BTW, what did you use to develop your existing products under unix? As far as I understand your visualization software is portable (so evidently you had to write at least some architecture specific code in unix). MinGW is such a pain I am seriously considering using xterm and a text editor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement