Advertisement

Good fonts for making logos with on Debian Sarge

Started by June 27, 2004 09:35 PM
15 comments, last by HTML 20 years, 2 months ago
Stuff in non-free are things that don't fully comply with DFSG - usually having non-modifiable source, or no source available at all - but which are still legally allowed to be distributed. As for being used commercially, I couldn't say. Possibly not would be my guess, though you'd have to check the license of the actual package to be sure.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Thanks.

Here is the license.

It says something about altering the images, but making logos out of them is different I think. It doesn't say anything about using them commercially though. His readme did say something about that, but the server was down. These things are hard to understand sometimes because of how they are worded.

[Edited by - HTML on June 29, 2004 3:33:36 PM]
Advertisement
Here is the Readme

Can anyone tell me if you can use these commercially (license in above post)

EDIT: I found this:
"The fonts contained in this archive are Freeware.
No payment is required for the use of these fonts. They're free!
Commercial use? Sure, but a donation or a product sample would be appreciated."

But then it says:

a) Do not alter in any way alphamumerics(eq. a-z, 1-9) contained in the font. An exception is converting between formats, here is allowed the nominal distortion that occurs during conversion from second order to third order quadratic curves (TrueType to Postscript) and vice versa.

b) Extra characters may be added, here it is allowed to use curves from alphanumerics in fonts under same license.

c) It is allowed to modify and remove analpahbetics punctuation, special characters, ligatures and symbols).

d) The original font name must remain but can be augmented. (ie. Blue Highway Cyrillic, Blue Highway ANSI, Blue Highway Fudge)

e) Character mapping may be altered.

f) If the kerning information is damaged or discarded please state that in the user notes or documentation.

g) All modifications must be released under this license.

Letter "a" talks about altering the text. Would making a logo out of it be considered altering?

Thanks

[Edited by - HTML on June 30, 2004 9:51:51 AM]
Does anyone know if making a logo is going against the letter "a" in the above post?

[Edited by - HTML on June 30, 2004 9:19:36 AM]
Maybe you should start a thread on the Business of Game Development forum.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Quote: Original post by HTML
Does anyone know if making a logo is going against the letter "a" in the above post?

It's not. All of those clauses deal with modifying the font itself.
Advertisement
Ok, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement